CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hurricane did not start

XXitanium

11 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

They're going to flush and replace the coolant with Watter Wetter.

Don't you live in the land of the frozen???  

3 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Love it, feats of strength!

My economy and living in Wisconsin has lead me to push start quite a few bikes.

:D

With the size of your boy, I figured he would just pick it up and carry it.  :) 

11 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

96F in 90% humidity in Mikwaukee's concrete canyons, that's pretty inhospitable.

I meant, don't you need freeze protection in the winter or are you planning to swap out antifreeze and water for the winter and summer?

Water Wetter is a product to improve the cooling effectiveness of plain water.  It is not an antifreeze.  Not for use for that purpose.  

I used Evans waterless coolant. It does protect to -40F.

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Water Wetter doesn't offer freeze protection?

From your link:

Red Line Water Wetter is a unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the 'wetting' ability of water. Its rust and corrosion protection properties allow for the use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates.

48 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

From your link:

Red Line Water Wetter is a unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the 'wetting' ability of water. Its rust and corrosion protection properties allow for the use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates.

Yep. It is for racing, to be used with straight water. 

It won't do shit for systems filled with antifreeze. Waste of money.

Btw, Evans or engine ice, etc. are not, typically, allowed on race tracks. Usually.

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

I won't use generic automotive with silicates.

There's plenty that are silicate free, google will give you a long list.  There's a few coolants that don't play well with others so if you know what's in it just use that.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

There's plenty that are silicate free, google will give you a long list.  There's a few coolants that don't play well with others so if you know what's in it just use that.

I called yhe dealer. I askedfor a flush and fill with Honda coolant.

The radiator cap, I'll do myself.

6 hours ago, XXitanium said:

...so, Honda coolant?

I won't use generic automotive with silicates.

I case you don't remember the post here, a while back I contacted Prestone about their regular use in any car antifreeze.  They said there is no silicates in it.  I have been using it in both my bikes for some years now without any issues.  $10.87 per gallon which makes two gallons at Walmart.

• For any car or light-duty truck
  • Works with any color antifreeze/coolant
  • Will not void warranty
  • With Cor-Guard extended life technology
  • Prevents corrosion
  • Protects the entire cooling system, including the radiator and water pump
  • Formulated to work with All Vehicles. Works with all fluid colors; All OAT, POAT, HOAT & IAT.
  • Longer Engine Life Guarantee - 10 Yr., 300,000 mile Extended life formula
  • Includes patented Prestone CorGuard technology, our best advancement in cooling system parts protection that protects against rust and corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum. Protection for 300,000 miles.
  • Concentrate formula. Must mix with distilled to the desired mix ratio of EG & water. Can be used for top-off, complete drain and refill or flush and refill of the cooling system.
  • https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-All-Vehicles-10yr-300k-mi-Antifreeze-Coolant-1-Gal-Concentrate/16879960?athbdg=L1100
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Love it, feats of strength!

My economy and living in Wisconsin has lead me to push start quite a few bikes.

:D

On a road trip a few years back I had my battery die in the bird. I had literally load tested it before leaving and it checked good. We road down a bumpy road into a state park to take a break and when we went to leave, absolutely nothing. We tried push starting, got nothing but a backfire, a few seconds of sporadic ide, then dead. All she wrote.

Rode an hour and a half round trip to an auto parts store and replaced the battery and were back in business.

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

You are paying a dealer to flush and fill your coolant??

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

I case you don't remember the post here, a while back I contacted Prestone about their regular use in any car antifreeze.  They said there is no silicates in it.  I have been using it in both my bikes for some years now without any issues.  $10.87 per gallon which makes two gallons at Walmart.

• For any car or light-duty truck
  • Works with any color antifreeze/coolant
  • Will not void warranty
  • With Cor-Guard extended life technology
  • Prevents corrosion
  • Protects the entire cooling system, including the radiator and water pump
  • Formulated to work with All Vehicles. Works with all fluid colors; All OAT, POAT, HOAT & IAT.
  • Longer Engine Life Guarantee - 10 Yr., 300,000 mile Extended life formula
  • Includes patented Prestone CorGuard technology, our best advancement in cooling system parts protection that protects against rust and corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum. Protection for 300,000 miles.
  • Concentrate formula. Must mix with distilled to the desired mix ratio of EG & water. Can be used for top-off, complete drain and refill or flush and refill of the cooling system.
  • https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-All-Vehicles-10yr-300k-mi-Antifreeze-Coolant-1-Gal-Concentrate/16879960?athbdg=L1100

I know of engines that have been damaged by using Prestone so I wouldn't take their word for it, but I think it should be fine in a bike.

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I'm sure that'll save a lot on the labor charge.

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

I've muddied the waters enough over there. I'm way past hood clear communication.

Your communication here is quite difficult to follow most of the time.

• 1 month later...
This will abate that low end rattle. Apparently it also helps with starting and cam timing.

About 160.00 for parts right now.

Al at the shop figured about 2 hours labor.

I rode it up the block a week ago. It's starting quite well.

Screenshot_20220919-225637_Chrome.jpg