CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hurricane did not start

XXitanium

1 hour ago, tomek said:

Depends on the bike, blackbird- maybe. Something like crossplain R1 of vfr1200f- forgetaboutit. Don't even try it.

I've push started my FI 2000 Ti bird as well. It wasn't enough electricity to turn the starter, but there was enough electricity to run the fuel injectors. I pulled over after about an hour at a Honda shop and they threw a full charge on the battery. I pulled the headlights out and ran 5 hours home.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

I've push started my FI 2000 Ti bird as well. It wasn't enough electricity to turn the starter, but there was enough electricity to run the fuel injectors. I pulled over after about an hour at a Honda shop and they threw a full charge on the battery. I pulled the headlights out and ran 5 hours home.

Many moons ago my 99 died on local trip. I quickly diagnosed as charging issue, so battery was almost dead. It was two motorcycles trip. I swapped battery with the other bike, 97 yzf1000r, bump started that bike, pulled headlights out on mine, and 2 hrs later we were home.

It shipped out the last time apparently. I think it was about 4 years ago we were leaving town on a ride. I needed a new battery I slept in a regular sealed lead acid.

Flat acid doesn't live very long in this neck of the woods.

20220815_174201.jpg

3 hours ago, tomek said:

I'm taking about bump start, not roll start. Not the same.

Bump start, you and maybe someone else pushing the bike from the back on flat terrain.

If you manage to bump start my vfr or r1 on flat ground I'll give you a 1000$. With fully charged batteries. Won't happen. 

High compression ratio, light flywheel, strong engine braking, uneven( v4 or crossplain) firing order and slipper clutch. 

You won't be able to bump start any of those two unless you are faster than Usain Bolt.  

Roll, bump, push start; whatever you wanna call it.  I did it with my SuperHawk with a dead battery on flat ground, I can't imagine any 4 banger being harder than that.  If you were closer I'd take the $1000 challenge for sure.

3 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

O'Reilly's had an AGM for under $100.

...now test the stator?

Start it and check voltage.  If it's not charging, then you have to start searching for why.

11 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

Like 14.5A ~ish?

Anything over 13 means it's charging some, but it should reach somewhere around 14 if it's charging well.  I don't know the specs for that bike, but the generally accepted range is 13.8-14.2, quite often it'll run a bit higher.

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Roll, bump, push start; whatever you wanna call it.  I did it with my SuperHawk with a dead battery on flat ground, I can't imagine any 4 banger being harder than that.  If you were closer I'd take the $1000 challenge for sure.

I'll make 3000$. It should cover airplane tickets, etc.

You have no idea what slipper clutch and other things I've mentioned can do to bump start. 

You are back to being ignorant retard again.

I'll record your futile attempts and post on YouTube so people can laugh.

Edited by tomek

3 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

AGM installed. It starts great. It has overheated three times on very hot days over about the last 5 years.

I think I'll get it flushed and refilled.

Honda Coolant 

Water Wetter

...others?

Is it charging?

I'd use Honda coolant just to feel good, but many use Prestone and haven't had any issues so I would't be opposed to suggesting it.  Water Wetter seems to be fairly proven to help heat transfer so it might help, depends on what caused the overheats, and whether it was truly overheating or just outside your comfort range.

7 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

I put the topped-off battery in this morning - before I had my coffee.

So it's upside down and connected backwards, perfect!

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

AGM installed. It starts great. It has overheated three times on very hot days over about the last 5 years.

Honda Coolant 

Water Wetter

...others?

Coolant, brand? whatever you are comfortable with. I use cheapest one from Walmart.

Water Wetter and similar won't do shit as far as temps drop. Pure water is the king in this particular category. Except it has  poor lubrication properties and, of course, rust thing. So, if you run pure water you should add Water Wetter and such because it provides some lubrication properties, and has ati rust inhibitors. Otherwise it is a waste of money.

Roadracing World run teats on the race bikes. Team Hummer. All those supposedly temp dropping additives don't do shit.

Water is the king.

5 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Honda Coolant 

Water Wetter

...others?

Based on recommendations, I went with Evans.  You have to drain, dry, prep the coolant system because it contains no water and can't be mixed with water.  Worked top notch up to when I sold the XX to RXX.  Of course, I had just replaced the thermostat, so it was a tad easier to get everything out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HUZ4HAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQVE3UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 hours ago, tomek said:

I'll make 3000$. It should cover airplane tickets, etc.

You have no idea what slipper clutch and other things I've mentioned can do to bump start. 

You are back to being ignorant retard again.

I'll record your futile attempts and post on YouTube so people can laugh.

If not for that slipper clutch, I might have been planning a long weekend trip the Land of Lincoln.  Does the VFR also have a slipper clutch?

51 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

Love it, feats of strength!

My economy and living in Wisconsin has lead me to push start quite a few bikes.

:D

It is much easier if you are not in totally flat terrain.

3 hours ago, jon haney said:

If not for that slipper clutch, I might have been planning a long weekend trip the Land of Lincoln.  Does the VFR also have a slipper clutch?

Yes. FYI, if there are any people attempting bump start those two, I'm relatively close to fire department, you know ambulance to bump start YOU when you pass out from exhaustion. 😂

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

...pushing coolant onto the ground...

That could be just a weak cap, but since it only did it those few times it could have actually been overheating.  I always ask because I get so many people asking me to fix their overheating car just to find out that it's in the safe range, just higher than they like or higher than they normally see.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that would be a cheap fix.

11 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I put the topped-off battery in this morning - before I had my coffee.

It started right up.

I made an appointment at my local non-affiliated shop. Its where I took my bird before the trip out west last year.

They're going to flush and replace the coolant with Watter Wetter. They will check the charging. They are going to replace missing shoulder bolts in the plastics.

I wonder how common a part that cap is?