CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear brake doesn't work and problem with fluid

kubagsx

Hi

Maybe do you know what failed. Have no idea.

I have standard linked brakes. No mods.

When I push the front brake lever, the front brakes do work, but rear one not (pistons don't move, even a milimeter).

When I use rear brake lever, the rear brake doesn't work and the front don't.

Also I can't remove the fluid from the rear brake reservoir, while there is no problem with emptying the front brake reservoir.

Thank you in advance for the advices.

Cheers!

J.

Edited by kubagsx

• kubagsx changed the title to Rear brake doesn't work and problem with fluid

The front will only activate the rear if there's rolling pressure, just squeezing the handle does nothing.  The front caliper has to be pushed in the direction of wheel rotation actuating the small 'master cylinder" it's attached to.

What do you mean by "can't remove the fluid"?

Take the cap off the rear fluid reservoir, that should let it flow.  Beware that if you get air into the linked part of the system it'll probably be a bitch to get out, be cautious about which bleeders you open and what you do.

2 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Take the cap off the rear fluid reservoir, that should let it flow.  Beware that if you get air into the linked part of the system it'll probably be a bitch to get out, be cautious about which bleeders you open and what you do.

I did it, but nothing goes out from the nipples. I followed the Honda user manual 😕

Tighten the bleeders and push the caliper pistons in.  If they won't go the rear master piston probably isn't retracting all the way.  If they do push in re-try the bleeding and it should go.

Edited by superhawk996

I've had several bikes loose rear brake pressure from sitting too long, and it one case from it never being used.  Sometimes just pumping the pedal many times brought it back, sometimes I had to open the bleeder to get fluid though the master.  I had one bike that would loose front brake while parked because the reservoir was over filled.  As soon as I removed a little fluid the problem stopped.

I had a similar issue after the purchase of my 2002 from a little independent dealer that did a full fluid flush prior to sale…..incorrectly.   The Service Manual defines a very specific process and sequence for bleeding the brakes.  I followed the procedure step by step and the issue was resolved.