CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Tool Tuesday

rockmeupto125

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Heat seems to draw the lube in, maybe just because it thins the lube, and/or it draws the lube in as the parts cool.  But you don't want the parts so hot that they cook the oil.  I have two transmission to engine bolts soaking in Deep Creep after warming the engine up, today I'll find out if it helped.

Yes, I'm quoting myself, there's a follow-up.  The lube seemed to do nothing.  After about a week of soak time both bolts were still stuck hard.  How hard you ask?  One of them broke the engine block before coming loose.  Luckily it's a Porsche 911 so a used engine only costs about what the car is worth in running condition.

But truthfully, it doesn't need replacing.  Luckily the cracked area isn't a huge deal and I was able to fix the threads so that the bolt goes in fine.

ETA:  The bolts appeared to have copper anti-seize and I think there was some metallurgical force at play making the bolts stick.  Steel bolt + aluminum engine case + copper anti-seize might be a bad cocktail.  The bolts felt like they were a pressed fit, I had to crank them pretty hard right to the last thread using an extra long 1/2" drive ratchet.

Edited by superhawk996

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

I believe Oscar is still using the tube my dad owned. 

This is a can, and he stole if from work, but they don't know I have it.  I often wonder why I'm so careful not to waste any, fuckin thing's 20 years old and around 3/4 full...after showing up already in used condition.

6 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Yes, I'm quoting myself, there's a follow-up.  The lube seemed to do nothing.  After about a week of soak time both bolts were still stuck hard.  How hard you ask?  One of them broke the engine block before coming loose.  Luckily it's a Porsche 911 so a used engine only costs about what the car is worth in running condition.

But truthfully, it doesn't need replacing.  Luckily the cracked area isn't a huge deal and I was able to fix the threads so that the bolt goes in fine.

Was there some unusual reason for the stuck bolt like screwed up threads?  After removal, was it super rusty?  I've never had a motor to trans bolt stuck very bad.  

Just now, blackhawkxx said:

Was there some unusual reason for the stuck bolt like screwed up threads?  After removal, was it super rusty?  I've never had a motor to trans bolt stuck very bad.  

No corrosion at all, and re-read it as I edited it to add the possible reason.