CBR1100XX.org Forum

Walking

Hi,

Inspired by someone in the Weight Loss thread saying they walk 30 miles a week (Dave I think) ... got me thinking about walking.

I walk my dog but other than that I do not often purposefully go for a walk. In fact, when I've found myself in-between dogs I recall wanting to go for a walk but feeling odd about in having no dog/reason to go for a walk. That's just something odd in my head.

Our bodies have evolved to be great long distance walking machines. When I've been stuck behind a desk for too long and I go for a walk I can absolutely feel my body getting back to a more natural state, my back cracks, my posture improves, etc. I'm not really sure how beneficial leisurely walking is. I'd guess there is some slight cardio benefit but calorie burning is minimal. I do find walking clears my head (especially so in the woods) and I sleep better on days that I'm able to get some walking in.  There's some Japanese challenge that became an unofficail health thing to walk 10000 steps a day, can't hurt, right?

Shorts/sunglasses, comfy shoes/sandals, iPod with good tunes, cannabis vape pen (optional), a dog/wife/kid and an hour and I'm good to go. All seasons. Morning, lunch break, evening ... all good.  City, woods, beach ... all good.

Do you walk? What is your walking routine, goal? Favourite walking footwear?

In this thread, let's talk the walk.

Walking doesn't help with weight loss really.  I mean, moving around is good to keep things moving, and not stagnant, but there's no real caloric benefit.  In fact most exercise is irrelevant to weight loss.  How many Oreos do you think you could eat to make up for a run up the Empire State Building?  A little aerobic work here and there correlates with good health improvements, but not specifically weight loss.  There may be psychological benefits; people who do *something* like that regularly correlate with happier people.

Walking is pretty boring.  If I do, it's for some reason like scouting or some excuse to give a purpose.  I always walk in Vibram FiveFinger KSOs, which are meant for trekking.  Otherwise, I'm just not going to be walking around the hood.

I like mountain biking.  That's interesting, more aerobic, and puts the whole body to work not just legs.  A good solid ride can burn up a few hundred calories, but even a non-aggressive ride gives you a good all-body workout.

Moriah has been doing road biking lately and can put down a shitload of power apparently, so two hours of that and she's killed 300+ calories.  I don't get the road bike thing either.  Yawn.

• Like 1

I don't walk to walk, but I spend most days walking around a fair bit, working on shit, moving shit around, etc.  It's my only form of 'exercise'.  I've never felt like it helps me mentally, but when I lack doing it for too long I start feeling crappy so it apparently does help.  I also gain weight so I think there is some merit to a minor form of exercise like walking.  Some of that weight gain might be excess eating/snacking to consume the dead time.

• Like 1

I walk every day.  It started with the dog and we walked in all weather except for lighting storms multiple times a day for 15 years.  Now it is just me and my wired earbuds (yes Swamp, wired).  If you think walking is too easy, add some really steep hills.  They will get your heart and lungs going.

• Like 1

Despite what others might say - it has definitely helped me lose weight.  I burn calories walking... that in combination with a healthy diet definitely helps you maintain a particular weight and if you walk a lot - helps you lose weight. 

How do I know this for a fact - I lost weight when I started walking more than just a stroll.  Yesterday I walked 8 miles. I walk 16 minute miles. I burned 780 calories.

I do that 3-5 days a week.  So, 2340 to 3900 calories a week.  If I don't eat like a pig I will lose weight. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree with Dave that it works for weight loss.  I am a desk jockey by day and couch potato by night.  I started walking daily 5000 to 10000 plus steps a day after one of my dogs passed away.  Keeping my non-vegetable diet of bad for you food (no changes) and just walking I was able to drop a pound to two a week.  My pace is similar to Dave's or perhaps a little quicker when by myself.  When I walk the dog it becomes a leisurely pace as I let my dog be a dog.  However he has lost about 3 pounds himself and acts like a puppy for being almost 14 years old.

I think the key is consistency on a regular basis.  I don't think walking would be effective for me if it was just walking my dog, but by myself at an elevated pace it works well.

I also change up my route by taking different trails in the woods.

I use strictly New Balance as I have wide feet and they work best for me.

20 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I walk every day.  It started with the dog and we walked in all weather except for lighting storms multiple times a day for 15 years.  Now it is just me and my wired earbuds (yes Swamp, wired).  If you think walking is too easy, add some really steep hills.  They will get your heart and lungs going.

Wired ear buds are making a come back.  I definitely prefer them myself and use the wired to the phone type and not the wired Bluetooth type.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, azxr said:

Wired ear buds are making a come back.  I definitely prefer them myself and use the wired to the phone type and not the wired Bluetooth type.

Wired don’t need to be charged regularly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I pulled some back muscles early on during the pandemic putting on my fucking socks on a Monday morning. I realized that I had been a self quarantining couch potato the whole weekend and that likely contributed/caused my pulled back. After recovering from that I made a point to walk around the block at work on my lunch breaks. Did that for a year then my role changed a bit and I lost some flexibility to get my walks in. I found they gave me a reset mentally for the afternoon, very refreshing.

I had been using some cheapo Panasonic wired in ear monitors then upped my game with some BT Jabra Elite 75s but have opted lately for some older open Sennheiser PX 100i headphones. I like being able to hear whats going on around (behind) me to some extent and the iems were seeming to isolating. Never know when I'm going to have to go all kung fu in the hood with my birkenstocks on.

• Upvote 1