CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Oil - Hornady?

OMG

Years ago, back when we were young and I first had the Bird and was delighted to find this place and learned about oilers, I opted for the Pro-oiler.

After getting it set up for the bird it has worked great. I'm very pleased except for the mess it makes on the polished rims, always a pain to keep clean.

So - I have had every oil and combination in it and it's always a mess.

What if I use One Shot? It works - I mean it worked great on the bang sticks I had.

What would it do for a chain?

A chain is kinda like a belt for feeding a machine gun, One Shot is made for guns; worst case scen

I have no idea.  Some people never lube a chain, some use WD40, and they all say it works fine.  I can hear when a chain needs to be oiled so maybe clean it and One Shot it and see how it sounds?  If it sounds good the next step is back to back dyno runs to see how much more deadly the bike is running on gun lube.

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

Does it cost more than proper chain lube?

Any gun owner that doesn't know should turn in his man card, or at least his gun card.  It's somewhat spendy, but so are most name brand chain lubes so I can't say for sure which costs more.

Yea, I know, another oil argument.  I can't say whether it's a superior gun lubricant in long term use/abuse to regular oils, but it makes actions feel very slick and it has cured many people's gun problems.  I've had many people at the desert spot come to me with cycling problems and don't recall any that weren't cured by One Shot.  It also seems to make them easier to clean.  It even cured the guns that were stopped by Frog Lube.  I try to always have a can on shooting trips and when I forget I'm reminded why I bring it.  I've used it on many other things where I don't want a wet lube.

There's One Shot case lube and gun lube so make sure you buy the right one for the right purpose, the case lube is also great.  I've never used Imperial or any of the other supposedly great ones so I can't say for sure that it's superior, but it's easier to apply, particularly for large batches/progressive loading, and works very well.  Being a cheapskate I've moved toward DIY lanolin/alcohol for big batches, but still use the OS for small runs.  I think the case lube is what made me try the gun lube.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Is it o-ring safe?

That would be a concern, the other wonderment is if it would have time to stick to the chain.

Cost is not a concern, chain and sprocket life + cleaning after every ride is.

13 hours ago, OMG said:

That would be a concern, the other wonderment is if it would have time to stick to the chain.

Cost is not a concern, chain and sprocket life + cleaning after every ride is.

Grab a random o-ring and soak it.  Shit, you'd have to know what material the chain manufacturer uses to be certain.  Buna-N is probably the most common, but I don't know if that's what they use.

What do you mean by "have time to stick to the chain"?  If you're contemplating putting One Shot into an oiler that would be interesting, and I'm guessing it would be a fail.  I assumed you were going to spray it on in which case you just need a few seconds for the carrier to evaporate.

20 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

putting One Shot into an oiler

into the pro oiler

now I wonder if one shot would harm the pump

3 minutes ago, OMG said:

into the pro oiler

now I wonder if one shot would harm the pump

No idea what it would do to the pump, but since OS uses a fast evaporating carrier of some sort I'm assuming it would become super thick as soon as you released it from the can.  Spray a puddle of it onto something to see how it acts.  Maybe a small container so you can build it up a bit.  My guess is it'll be like grease, but I'm curious.

I wonder if applying something like a ceramic coating to your wheels would minimize the clean up  by just spraying them off and wiping them down?

5 hours ago, azxr said:

I wonder if applying something like a ceramic coating to your wheels would minimize the clean up  by just spraying them off and wiping them down?

Good thought!

There are special ceramics for raw aluminum.  I don't know if it's actually different than the stuff normally used on painted parts, but probably.  I haven't read about it being used on bike wheels, no idea how it does with oil, but people swear it makes brake dust easy to remove and I imagine the oil would be too.  And it keeps them shiny much longer.

CAN YOU CERAMIC COAT POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS? (EXPLAINED)

Polished aluminum wheels look amazing. But they stain easily. If you own a set of bare aluminum wheels, you can testify how tiring it is for you to polish them every time.

A ceramic coat can seal the aluminum by creating a surface barrier. When you ceramic coat polished aluminum wheels, your wheels will retain that shiny look for longer. The ceramic coat will prevent grime, dirt, and brake dust from staining the wheels.

Can I ceramic coat polished aluminum wheels? Absolutely! You can ceramic coat your polished aluminum wheels. There are two ways how you can approach this.

First, you can buy a ceramic coating kit and apply it to the wheels. Alternatively, you can take your car to an auto body shop for professional ceramic coating.

When you ceramic coat polished aluminum wheels, you won’t have to clean the wheels after every drive. The ceramic coat gives you peace of mind knowing that your aluminum wheels will retain that decent polish.

And whenever you get the time, you can clean the surface of the wheels, and the stains should come off easily.