CBR1100XX.org Forum

TORX versus TRIPLE SQUARE

TFT

Audi has installed Triple square screws in the doorlatches on their Audis. A torx T45 will fit but before I try it and possibly strip the head should I try to obtain a triple square? 

From what I have read Audi installs that type of screw head for safety purposes because of course you won't have a triple square in your tool box. They also use them on seat belt attachments. 

The fact that I am in Alaska means no one carries them and I'll have to order them. Plus I don't know what the equivalent triple square size would be. I may have to contact an auto repair shop. 

They are certainly not the same.  If one manages to fit, and it's solid, it should work, until it doesn't.  Door latches are often super tight with thread locker and paint over them. A really high quality Torx that happens to fit may work.  A shitty one probably not.  The 12-point's purpose is ultra high torque on hardened fasteners.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Are you taking the doors off so you can drive your orange Jesus around in the open air when he visits?

Hahaha!!

I'm removing the door latch actuator, the original latch actuator electronics failed so I'm installing a new actuator.

Amazon.com: Power Door Lock Actuators Front Right Door Latch Replacement  Fits for 2001-2005 for Audi A4 1998-2005 for Audi A6 Quattro 2004-2005 for  Audi S4 2001-2004 for Audi S6 4B1837016G : Automotive

Edited by TFT

On 7/2/2022 at 10:02 AM, TFT said:

From what I have read Audi installs that type of screw head for safety purposes because of course you won't have a triple square in your tool box. They also use them on seat belt attachments. 

They and many others use triple square on a bunch of stuff, I doubt it has anything to do with safety.  German assholes have been using them for decades.  It's possible that it's superior to the 'normal' fasteners, but from my experiences I say it's not.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 4:46 PM, TFT said:

Hahaha!!

I'm removing the door latch actuator, the original latch actuator electronics failed so I'm installing a new actuator.

Amazon.com: Power Door Lock Actuators Front Right Door Latch Replacement  Fits for 2001-2005 for Audi A4 1998-2005 for Audi A6 Quattro 2004-2005 for  Audi S4 2001-2004 for Audi S6 4B1837016G : Automotive

Can’t you just use the key to unlock the door and save $400 or whatever the new latch actuator costs? My German-engineered and German-made component MIni actuator went tits up about 5 years ago. 

Stick the key in, turn it and voila, the door unlocks.

5 minutes ago, RXX said:

Can’t you just use the key to unlock the door and save $400 or whatever the new latch actuator costs? My German-engineered and German-made component MIni actuator went tits up about 5 years ago. 

Stick the key in, turn it and voila, the door unlocks.

The key fob worked to unlock the door, the problem was that the door latch assembly no longer activated the puddle lights, footwell lights, interior lights and door warning lights. That bugged me so I replaced the assembly. 

Even though the car is 20 years old it is like new and everything works. It came with heated seats, heated steering wheel, warning sensors in the bumpers, level adjusting xenon headlights, sports seats and suspension, it had every option available in 2002. I since replaced the stereo head unit with a Kenwood with 7" screen, apple car play and backup camera and added remote start. It is pretty much as technically advanced as many new cars so I try to keep it in perfect condition.  The new aftermarket actuator cost me $112.00 so I felt it was worth it. If I had to pay $450 for an Audi unit I wouldn't have done it. 

One thing that now works with the new unit is the warning sound if you leave the headlights on, that did not work when I bought the car so I was unaware it existed. Now, if you leave the headlights on after turning off the engine and open the door a warning buzzer sounds. Over the years I have left the headlights on a few times. 

What the fuck is this key thing???

Oh, google says it's something from the 1900s.

The Smart has a hidden key slot for emergencies since they don't expect the barbaric use of metal objects in a door.

A key is the thing you leave in the ignition lock to start most liquid fuel powered vehicles.  I can't remember the last time I locked a vehicle door.

9 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

A key is the thing you leave in the ignition lock to start most liquid fuel powered vehicles.  I can't remember the last time I locked a vehicle door.

Most of my keys have a mechanism whereby energy is stored in the key whenever it gets used, thereby obviating the need for ecologically destructive batteries. It’s like perpetual motion. How cool is that?

15 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

We have ring cameras and doorbells. We quite often see comments in the ring app about stuff being stolen out of their vehicles and of course the vehicles were left unlocked. 
Leaving valuables in your vehicle over night and leaving it unlocked is not a wise decision.

Thinking about getting wireless video cams.

I glanced over to if anyone stole my riding lawnmower. 

The fukr is still there.

If I had cameras I could turn the lights on for them.

20 hours ago, TFT said:

We have ring cameras and doorbells. We quite often see comments in the ring app about stuff being stolen out of their vehicles and of course the vehicles were left unlocked. 
Leaving valuables in your vehicle over night and leaving it unlocked is not a wise decision.

All of my vehicles are unlocked and have the keys in the ignition.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

All of my vehicles are unlocked and have the keys in the ignition.

Locking a convertible just adds a new top to the damage done.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, SwampNut said:

Like a lock would help you there.

Also.  Racist.

So, you have been to Compton. lol

I got off the freeway on the way to Disneyland in the 70's and stopped in Compton. Went in to a hamburger joint that was packed.

I was the only white face in there. I thought oh, so this is what it's like. I know, this sounds racist but as 

a small town Oregon boy that had never been exposed to the world, at the time, what else could I think?

On 7/30/2022 at 8:30 PM, CALCXX said:

I was the only white face in there. I thought oh, so this is what it's like. 

Me too. ...a bottle of Jeager Meister and poor decisions lead me on a search for a midnight snack somewhere in the area of Chevy Chase MD.. 

Midnight I walk in. I'm the only person of European descent  The gentlman behind the counter says "This isn't a safe place for you at this time of night. I'll serve you, but I recommend you directly back to whatever hotel you are staying at".

It looked like this:

https://bethesdahistoricalsociety.org/little-tavern/

I'd enjoy going back, but I may have outlived the chain?

BHS-Little-Tavern-hamburger-stand.jpg

Edited by XXitanium