CBR1100XX.org Forum

LED vs HID

Dotetcher

7 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

I’m impressed at how well LED works provided it puts out enough lumens.

And is the right color/temperature, and is focussed appropriately, and has good circuitry, and has good cooling, ...

It's not rocket surgery and I think they've gotten much better in general, but there are still many shitty LEDs out there.  Apples to apples quality wise, I can't think of a reason to choose HID over LED.

This was great in the XX.  Some lamp bodies will work great with LED or HID, some simply will not.  My 2005 Ram did somewhat OK with HID after some fiddling, definitely no go with LEDs.  Others may not do well with either.  LED is a true point light source, HID is larger, and halogen is much larger.  The reflector focus matters a lot.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NXS9RHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i've had these in my blackbird for a few years now and love 'em.  very sharp cut-off like the halogens, just way brighter.  when someone's driving around with their brights at night and i "fight fire with fire", i can see the color of their shirts!

installation was a bit of a pain until i figured out to unscrew the retainer wire and i had to make a spacer out of pvc for a snug fit.

https://www.gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-2-led-bulbs-h7?quantity=1

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ptxyz said:

i've had these in my blackbird for a few years now and love 'em.  very sharp cut-off like the halogens, just way brighter.  when someone's driving around with their brights at night and i "fight fire with fire", i can see the color of their shirts!

installation was a bit of a pain until i figured out to unscrew the retainer wire and i had to make a spacer out of pvc for a snug fit.

https://www.gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-2-led-bulbs-h7?quantity=1

I went with the HID for now. Basically a direct re placement for what was in the bird and didn't want to have to figure out anything new. New bulbs are a lot brighter. Seems like that's all I've been doing since the weather got nice is working on 2 wheel, four wheel and floating vehicles. Pain in th ass. Time to have some fun.

2 hours ago, Dotetcher said:

Seems like that's all I've been doing since the weather got nice is working on 2 wheel, four wheel and floating vehicles.

An easy solution for the floating vehicles is to ignore them 'till they convert.  Once they become sunken vehicles the maintenance is eliminated.  Worst case scen