CBR1100XX.org Forum

C-beams off the shoals of Orion

XXitanium

AVG sent me down a rabbit hole. They offered to compress my F: . I tried it. It is an SSD drive.   ...bork...

My old Dell M6600 is stuck. I got past this a couple times through heroic means, but generally it seems like it's trying to run chkdsk /f

It gets about 66% and just stops. It sits for hours and never finishes.

20220628_231703.jpg

Edited by XXitanium

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

AVG sent me down a rabbit hole. They offered to compress my F: . I tried it.

That, my son, was your first mistake….

Did you also agree to confirm you Social Security Number, provide your mother’s maiden name, and sign up for America-On-Line?

Edited by Zero Knievel

Okay, thread hijack.

F is usually an accessory drive, which is  what got me thinking about it.

30 years ago, I had a 386DX with 4 megs of RAM.  Very fast computer, much faster than the 486DX machines that the people I played LAN DOOM with owned, which annoyed them much.  How? Start the computer off a floppy with a trimmed down batch file to load basic DOS and drivers for video, sound, and network, which took 700k or so, and create a 3 meg RAMDRIVE which was labelled F:.

Then, run RAMDISK to compress that drive to hold about 7megs of data, copy the DOOM OS and selected levels to the RAMDISK, and run the game completely out of system RAM. 

It wouldn't run chkdsk on that virtual drive, don't know why, that was truly above my pay grade.

• Upvote 1

Storage is cheap.  I had no idea compression was still a thing.

My aggressively mediocre Windows laptop has a touch/pen screen.  I bought the MS pen (40% more than an Apple one).  The "documentation" just gives a URL to go find the actual docs.  That doesn't exist.  I can't find a place to charge/connect the pen (should be a magnetic coupling like an iPad and its pencil).  Binging an answer finds...none.  So Microsoft gave me two devices listed as compatible, with broken documentation, no obvious way to use it, and unlike an Apple product, attempting to do the connection in the settings does not result in a guided setup.  I gave up.

I was starting to re-like Windows.  And yet I'm reminded of why nobody who isn't an expert should use it.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I was starting to re-like Windows.  And yet I'm reminded of why nobody who isn't an expert should use it.

LOL

I tried to be careful and not use any phrase which might indicate the least amout of affection for Microsoft or any if its products.

(I do kind if have a weird fetish for media player)

4 hours ago, XXitanium said:

(I do kind if have a weird fetish for media player)

Second worst product ever behind Paintbrush.  

I spent the day out on multiple sites with just a Windows laptop, no real OS.  It was ok.

15 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Snipping Tool.

Skitch is all-platform, and integrates with Evernote so your markups live forever or according to your Evernote rules.  Mine auto delete in a year unless I move them to a permanent notebook.

So, Windows system restore allows me to restore Windows without losing my documents. As it goes through recovering windows, it does not automatically run the check disk slasher off. It asks me if I want to bypass that.

Two times through Windows updates or whatever the hell it's doing, and I am at a Windows explorer folder that I can get at my documents.

Bill Gates is the devil.

I think I may have defeated the chkdsk /f now. I picked up a 1Tb ecternal SSD and backed up my shit.

I only have Windows-10 apparenly  It looks like I may be eligible for Windows-11 free upgrade. I'm not super excited about it. I've heard rumblings my old processir isn't supported.

• 1 month later...

My M6600 (above) has been running well.

I made a bootable zip drive.

I am running the AVG again, just cautious not to defrag the SSD drive. It has speeded the ststem up well.

....I fixed my wife's travel M6400 yesterday. It was locking up when trying to initiate MSOffice programs. The sceeen was scrambling.

It wasn't difficult, but I had an idea of what to try. I ran updates, the initial update was the Nvidia driver. I did the Windows etc because I was in there.

Edited by XXitanium

• 4 months later...

Some people buy new rocking computers with four year warranties.

Let's say I'm shopping and I'm cheap. I live in the Windohs world.

I do email.

I watch ThinkOrSwim like having a fishbowl with goldfish. Extremely inactive, just background motion.

I use it as a media player.

Any hot deals on new computers?

...runs with scissors, repairs, laptops with sledgehammers. 

So, I got past the antivirus check disc dilemma from last summer. The computer's been running fine for a couple months.

About a week ago I got an error that the CPU fan was out. I ordered a new one. I was trying to swap it out and I snapped off half of the female retainer that the cooling fan plugs into.

Can I just hotwire the red and black wires to some point?

I don't want to put a new motherboard in.

PXL_20221231_204554613.jpg

PXL_20221231_195421537.jpg