CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sticker removal

rockmeupto125

So I got this new bike, and thought I'd do the right thing and take the warning sticker with all the writing on it off me deep metal flake tank. It was over 80 today and I figured out would be easy... And it was. Came off get nicely with my plastic razor blade. 

And now I've got this goo rectangle I can't get off what the hell?  I've rubbed it with alcohol and window cleaner...a lot. What's the next step? Goo Gone? Vinegar? Tequila? Brake fluid?

Many spray on plastic/paint cleaners/polishers will help removing whatever reside is left after sticker removal. Spray it on offending areas, wait couple minutes, etc.

Now, acetone,,,, it is unsafe to use unless you are a professional like myself. 

And I doubt you are.

Edited by tomek

Angle grinder with a 3M Cubitron grinding wheel.  Use medium pressure to start, ease up when you smell gas.  When it catches fire you can go on to the next task while it does all the work for you.

With most stickers, if you peel them slowly, sometimes painfully slowly, the adhesive stays with the sticker.  Scraping or rushing is almost always going to leave a mess.  Heat helps.  Heating the object is much more effective than heating just the sticker.  Luckily this object comes with it's own heat source, you just need to switch it to heat mode, a match down the hole is all it takes.

I got some generic adhesive remover at work. 

It takes glue and some skin off, but not tattoos, so I figured its kindasorta safe, right?

I haven't had a new vehicle in decades, so I'm kinda skittish about the little bit of finish that it has.

It looked fine but got really hot.  It's in a flood plain, though, so most everybody should get FEMA compensation, right?  Who knew powdered aluminum would burn, y'know?  I mean it's a metal, you'd think it would just melt. 

Oh well.

17 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

It takes glue and some skin off, but not tattoos, so I figured its kindasorta safe, right?

You could test it on a hidden part of the tank.

21 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

It looked fine but got really hot.  It's in a flood plain, though, so most everybody should get FEMA compensation, right?  Who knew powdered aluminum would burn, y'know?  I mean it's a metal, you'd think it would just melt. 

WTF?

And lots of stuff will burn in powder form.  The talk/baby powder stuff a pool hall used to use (for lubing your hand where the cue slides across your skin) they had it in plastic squirt bottles, get just the right amount to shoot over a cigarette lighter and you'd get a little fire blast.

2 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

You're kinda describing using acetone to remove cyanoacrylates or paint from your skin.  I mean, that's nail polish remover, right?  But certainly not paint safe.

13 hours ago, Biometrix said:

WD-40 and if that doesn't work then Goo-Gone. If those don't work then a belt sander with 60 grit will surely get rid of it.

+1

But that goo gone gel really solves it for me every time, there's always a bottle around.

Mayonnaise. Pretty mild and the oils help break down the adhesives. Goo Gone and WD40 would be next on the list before Acetone or XYLOL. XYLOL is the terminator of all things adhesives. Dudes use it out here to strip all the factory graphic goo off their Razors. Hopefully Scott will chime in with a shop endorsement. Pretty far down my list as I wouldn't want to breath it....then again I spray Round Up around the houses multiple times per year. 

https://www.sunnysidecorp.com/product.php?p=t&b=s&n=822G1

Xylene is a real motherfucker like MEK and shouldn't be used without protection and knowledge.  I love what it does, and treat it with great respect.

This shit is seriously effective though.  Smells really great too, giving a false sense of not being a big deal.

6250B320-C1B9-4457-A32A-A467CB30D6EE_1_102_o.jpeg

2. Hazards Identification
GHS Classification
Health
Acute Toxicity - See section 
11 for specific toxicity. See section data on ingredients. Eye Irritation - Category 2

Skin Irritation - Category 3 Physical
Flammability - 
Category 3