CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pliers

SwampNut

Based on Adam Savage's recommendation years ago, I bought a couple of Knipex tools.  I've always been amazed by them.  My tiny little 6-ish inch sliding pliers are the ultimate go-to, always seeming to beat anything short of 12" Channel Locks.  Well, here's why, they just simply do.  This was an objective test with measured pressure and torque.

I neglected to get a photo of the wear portion of the test, but they came in at 0.5/5 wear, beating them all.  In fact the jaws looked barely touched after the test, which is my experience also no matter how I abuse them.  The others showed significant dulling.

This is on Youtube, by Project Farm.  I started to not really be into his presentation style, and now I'm really happy with it.  Pretty fast and info-filled.  It's easy to fast forward on the TV if I find myself bored with parts.

3AA4D7E6-DD95-4C37-9D44-44DA19453A8B_1_102_a.jpeg

I picked up the larger Knipex that he tested, for even less.

image.png

2 hours ago, OMG said:

If you like that you will love their wire stripper. A bit more pricey but the best.

Yes, unfortunately, this is going to create a rabbit hole of wanting things I don't truly need.  I have wire strippers that are perfectly fine.  Or well, let me say, they function well, but they sometimes annoy me.  I don't want to throw money away, but...

I do have their flush cutters and that's a life-changing tool.  Literally that's the term among my friends.  Flush cuts in general are really important, but they step it up a notch.  I have them and another brand, there's a huge difference.

Which stripper are you recommending?  I currently have Klein automatics in the pliers-type shape.  The Knipex with the "nose" appeal to me for reaching into small spaces.  They have several varieties.  The "gun" shape seems easy to use (1262180).

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Yes, unfortunately, this is going to create a rabbit hole of wanting things I don't truly need.  I have wire strippers that are perfectly fine.  Or well, let me say, they function well, but they sometimes annoy me.  I don't want to throw money away, but...

I do have their flush cutters and that's a life-changing tool.  Literally that's the term among my friends.  Flush cuts in general are really important, but they step it up a notch.  I have them and another brand, there's a huge difference.

Which stripper are you recommending?  I currently have Klein automatics in the pliers-type shape.  The Knipex with the "nose" appeal to me for reaching into small spaces.  They have several varieties.  The "gun" shape seems easy to use (1262180).

Are "flush cutters" the same as what I call side cutters?

Side cutters to me mean the normal angled dykes, the most common wire cutters.  Flush are the really small ones with the cutting edge on the outside surface, not double-sided like side cutters.  They leave a perfectly flush cut, so for example on a zip tie in a server cabinet, there's no razor-sharp edge to shred your arm.

149EC454-8334-430E-A3F3-F37C03F90D95_1_102_o.jpeg

I forgot I had these Knipex side cutters, they will cut crazy shit and nothing happens to them.

I have some Xcelite flush cuts, and yes, they are a lifesaver.  No more looking like I stuck my hand in a badger den after working around an automotive wiring harness.

And you've NEVER met a better nail clipper.

7 hours ago, SwampNut said:

The Knipex with the "nose"

this one I think. They are about $50

14 hours ago, OMG said:

this one I think. They are about $50

Easy choice then.  The gun type are $42 on Amazon, the pliers type...$125.  Don't know why.  The gun type seems to not work on Romex, which is fine, I deal with that every few years at most, and less and less as I've got the shop/house really heavily wired now.

Those Knipex cutters have taken down a few pieces of hardened steel wire (Helicoils, amazingly tough) as well as a lot of other retarded shit.  Here's the damage.  IE, none.  The first time I tried cutting one I used a generic cutter and all it did was put a ding in the cutter, the steel didn't budge.

79AC32FB-5123-4980-B5F9-B715AA7EE47E_1_102_a.jpeg

If I were starting over today and didn't already have almost everything I can ever need, it would be Wiha drivers, Wera various wrenches and sockets, and Knipex everything plier/cutter.

Oh yeah, I tested Wera driver bits versus DeWalt and Milwaukee last night, just a fit test.  They "lock" into a Phillips amazingly well.