CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fewer than 1 in 5000 Americans get enough potassium, and most get way more sodium than they should

This is particularly important for @DBLXX and anyone else with known heart/circulation issues.  I cut out nearly all added sodium and have gone out of my way to reduce it in prepared items like tomato sauce and beans (one can of regular beans has nearly half of the recommended daily amount!).  The results have been good for my joints and for how I feel in general.  I never had HIGH blood pressure, but it would fluctuate up and down, sometimes higher than ideal.  I'm not at an ultra stable 124-128 over 82-84.  Even when sitting in the dentist's chair when I was sure it was going to be super high.  It's easy and cheap, just buy no-salt and use that.  Now when I eat a standard American sodium-rich meal, I can not only feel it, but the Apple Watch shows HR and EKG changes.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fewer-than-1-in-5000-meet-sodium-and-potassium-recommended-intakes/

A staggering 99.99 percent of Americans fail to get the minimum recommended potassium intake (despite it being perhaps only half of our natural intake) and stay below the recommended sodium intake (even though it may be twice our natural intake).

Who should not do this?  Anyone with known kidney disease, but then, you've already been told by your doctor to avoid potassium-rich foods.  Otherwise, it's all upside.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/potassium-chloride-salt-substitute-side-effects/?mc_cid=ce59ec72fd&mc_eid=6bf37ade4d

This is one of those things that's indicative of the problem; excessive potassium won't help you, but most people are deficient so a little boost helps.  You can't go wrong eating more fruit in any case; most Americans eat far too little.

Also worth noting; many low-sodium or no-salt-added foods are instead salted with potassium salt.  So this is good.  

Doctor Oz did a BS show criticizing eating bananas because of the risk of potassium overdose (based on a prior guest who eats a lot of them).  That same guest came out with the numbers proving it was BS…in part showing that coffee has potassium in it (116 mg) and how many people drink lots of coffee.  Yeah, bananas have more (422 mg), but a person can take 6,000 mg/day (about 14 bananas) and there supposedly is no upper limit

7 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Doctor Oz did a BS show

Wait, you're suggesting that piece of shit has EVER done a show that was NOT bullshit?  Come on.

It is possible to overload, and even die of potassium overload (as with many other substances including water).  I think the study you're referencing was one I read, and the guy was eating something like 10-20 bananas a day plus other K-rich foods.  There is definitely an upper limit expressed over time.  Just like water or other things that produce electrolyte imbalances.  People have died from consuming two gallons of water in a half hour, but not in a day.  

You have a great point on coffee and other things with K, so it's making me think hard about how nearly every still manages to not get enough.

7 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Wait, you're suggesting that piece of shit has EVER done a show that was NOT bullshit?  Come on.

I don't watch Dr. Oz enough to know about the other shows.  The guy doing a response on Dr. Oz included the relevant clips from the show.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I don't watch the trash, I've just read a lot about the junk he peddles for profit and the harm he's done to society.

The "Doctor" is currently in a recount for Pa Senator.  :angry: 

Dried apricots.  Not the sugary ones in the bright bags, gotta find some plain old unadulterated apricots.

Bananas are surprisingly far down the list of high potassium foods, props to the banana council or whatever for that always being the first thing that comes to mind when someone says "potassium"..

Unsurprisingly, Carlos linked the same source regarding potassium chloride that I read last week.  Seems a win/win, as long as you're not one of the people who finds it disgusting.   

Stay tuned: soon, we'll pick a victim and talk about their prostate.  I mean, if you've been to a meat, everybody is on a first-name basis with your prostate, right?

14 hours ago, IcePrick said:

Dried apricots.  Not the sugary ones in the bright bags, gotta find some plain old unadulterated apricots.

This brings me to a rant.  I love having dried fruits of all kinds around.  Nearly all dried fruits have added sugar.  WHY!?!  They are fucking candy to start with.  And nearly all savory things like dried plantains have added oil and/or salt.  WHAT THE FUCK.  Assholes.  "Made with 100% fruit."  Ah, yeah, I see the weasel language...  It could be 99% oil, sugar, and salt, but you did use 1% of 100% real fruit.  Two fourths of the time, the label lies.  Now, wait, that's actually more like 287 289ths of the times they lie.

The banana council is run by a bunch of monkeys, what do you expect.

Can't wait for these to be ready...

DE6E10D6-1366-45BC-85DE-32170D0B5DC1_1_105_c.jpeg

Yeah, that banana tree looked amazing.  I'm thinking daiquiri party at your place.  Most recipes call for added sugar, but in my experience, all of the tiny banana varieties are super sweet to begin with.  Some of that Papa's Pilar rum...

I read somewhere (so, grain of potassium chloride) that the reasons oils are used in dried fruit production are to prevent processing equipment from clogging and to keep the individual fruit pieces from adhering to each other/solidifying into a brick during shipping/while waiting on the shelf.  I've found that if you see a lady with braided armpit hair and dirty feet in sandals, she will eventually lead you to a store that sells minimally-enhanced dried produce in generically-marked bags.  Well, that's the excuse Ima use if I get busted for stalking them, anyways. 

The sticking problem makes sense, that's the hardest thing about making anything oil free.  I've given up on air fries being 100% oil free, some light spray is needed.  Adds up to around 60 calories for a big pile of fries.

These are blue Java ice cream bananas.  Sugar should not be needed.  Also, we will know they are ripe when they are blue, not yellow.  If only Mitch Hedberg were around to see this.

About

Description

The Blue Java is a hardy, cold-tolerant banana cultivar known for its sweet aromatic fruit, which is said to have an ice cream-like consistency and flavor reminiscent of vanilla. It is native to Southeast Asia and is a hybrid of two species of banana native to Southeast Asia — Musa balbisiana and Musa acuminata.