CBR1100XX.org Forum

Taco Bell health food

I know...WHAT???  I was surprised to find that they are making a specific effort to cut down sodium and other garbage, and to provide plant based and mostly whole food options.  There are a couple.  Still high in sodium, but not insane for occasional consumption if you need something fast.  The black bean and rice bowl is a fairly decent option.

But, this is mostly about making your own.  Sure, why would you choose to make Taco Bell?  Well sometimes it's just interesting, like gas station nacho cheez.  Oddly, though Moriah hates anything spicy or peppery, she likes the TB meat.  BUT...she's allergic to beef.  So I've been making my own with no sodium added, and Beyond Burger.  A little plant based "cheese" plus coconut-based crema and it's fun dumb little meal that is mostly real food.

image.jpeg

This pairs well with my all-food refried beans that use no lard or salt, but still have a creamy and greasy feel.  I'll post that one later.

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon dried onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crushed well
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (just for zing not heat)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar

1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules...most brands are just full of salt.  If you use unsalted, then add 1/2 tsp of potassium chloride.

This is not 100% perfect, this is a shitload better than most fast food.  

https://www.tacobell.com/food/specialties/power-menu-bowl-veggie

Panera can be pretty good too, and chipotle.  The sofritas are damn tasty and pretty damn good nutritionally.  You just have to look past the obvious.

56 minutes ago, DBLXX said:

If TB had a relatively healthy menu I'd eat there often.  That goes for most fast food places.  I'm down for healthy FAST FOOD.

Not much out there.

What's amazing is how one can screw up a simple bean burrito and make it unhealthy.

I was floored to see how bad tortillas are for nutrition.  :( 

12 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

What's amazing is how one can screw up a simple bean burrito and make it unhealthy.

Indeed.  And I'm not really understanding how it tastes "better" since beans and some light spices is so damn good anyway.  I have to think that it's some sort of addiction thing that they have come up with.

12 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

I was floored to see how bad tortillas are for nutrition.

Some.  There is a very monstrous variety between brands.  Some have a mile long ingredient list full of crap, and some say:

INGREDIENTS:  Corn

The flour ones are never going to be real food, it's right in the name, "flour."  But you could do worse.  Santa Fe has a mostly whole food tortilla that's very good, and still soft and flexible unlike most "healthy" versions.  And of course, a pure corn tortilla is whole real food.

Huh, I should give that a whirl.

The same masa can make tamales, and there are several substitutes for the parts that make them garbage, like the oil and salt.  And roasted hatch chiles covered in corn...now I'm hungry.

I've done the tamales from normal medium ground masa, from fine ground corn flour, and with Hominy that I coarse ground in the food processor.  All different and equally good.  In Cuba, we don't make "tamales," which are objects, we make "tamal" which is a porridge type thing.  Same ingredients, just stewed instead of steamed, and no corn husks.

Really, it's just Hispanic Polenta (which is also awesome and easy to make as a whole food).

Something from this list is going into the weekend plans.