CBR1100XX.org Forum

Guacamole/avocado are whole foods, plus have anti-inflammatory effect

Store-made guac often has additives, so read the label.  But many are just avocados, tomatoes, onions, and peppers with a bit of salt.  If you make your own, then you're guaranteed it's real food.  Now, tortilla chips are just oil and salt, but if you air fry natural corn tortillas, those are real food also.  That's what I do.  Then splash a little hot sauce on the guac...and I feel like I'm eating fun junk food.

Avocado is a great food for your body.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2022/05/12/anti-inflammatory-effects-of-guacamole/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=14bda07116-RSS_BLOG_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-14bda07116-28710906&mc_cid=14bda07116&mc_eid=6bf37ade4d

Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Guacamole

Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM on 

KEY TAKEAWAYS

• Adding avocado to a burger blunts the spike in inflammation that normally occurs within hours of eating meat. Despite the avocado adding more fat and calories to the meal, less inflammation is produced, likely because the additions are from antioxidant-rich whole plant foods that can inhibit oxidized fat formation.
  • Most of our waking hours may be in a postprandial (after-meal) state, and the fat we eat may be crippling our artery function soon after consumption.
  • When two milkshakes with virtually the same amounts of calories, sugar, protein, fat, saturated fat, and fiber, but one included peanuts, a whole plant food containing thousands of phytonutrients, were given to subjects, within hours of drinking the non-peanut shake, artery function was diminished by 20 percent. With the addition of peanuts, though, there was no significant drop in the ability of the arteries to relax and dilate normally, and walnuts may work even better.
  • In another study, researchers examined reactions to: (1) ice cream, (2) avocado, (3) just the fat and protein from the ice cream (to separate out the sugar), and (4) just the amount of sugar in the ice cream (to separate out the effects of the saturated butterfat). Oxidative stress levels in the bloodstream increased with the ice cream, just the fat and protein from the ice cream, and just the sugar in the ice cream, but no increase was observed after eating the avocados.
  • Whole plant foods, which are rich in antioxidants, come naturally prepackaged with phytonutrients and do not show the same potential for oxidative damage.

Another easy meal that I love is the Sam's Club guacamole (pretty clean), canned beans, and the Santa Fe whole wheat/flax tortillas.  Simple burrito.  Add sauce...yum.  A can of beans and a pack of the guac make three of them, I eat two in a meal for around 700 calories.  Very low carb hit and very good real food that lasts for many hours.

A7834AC5-D850-4EC5-9BEA-C36856BD10A2_1_102_o.jpeg

On 5/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, SwampNut said:

Another easy meal that I love is the Sam's Club guacamole (pretty clean), canned beans, and the Santa Fe whole wheat/flax tortillas.  Simple burrito.  Add sauce...yum.  A can of beans and a pack of the guac make three of them, I eat two in a meal for around 700 calories.  Very low carb hit and very good real food that lasts for many hours.

A7834AC5-D850-4EC5-9BEA-C36856BD10A2_1_102_o.jpeg

WOOHOOO  thanks for sharing that...   SAMS is my place for sure, buy lots of large qty food items, lots of frozen chicken shit, etc   LOL

But never thought about GUAC.   Now I know what I will be bringing home on my next visit....    :D

Their guacamole is about 1/3 off the grocery store prices, and it's good.  Basic flavor you can add any sauce to.

Tip:  Comes in non-closable bags, a clothespin closes it well.