CBR1100XX.org Forum

Last I knew, he focused more as a solo artist, but with the onset of the pandemic he wasn't planning any more touring and intended to focus more on his session related endeavors. He was involved with Warner-Chappell Productions for a while. He has his own studio--but I haven't heard how it's doing these days. Things have been tough for a lot of artists.

Edited by ironmike

• 1 month later...

Anyone even mildly interested, this place is a destination place to try out guitars. They have virtually anything you would want, sit down, plug in and try it out. Music Villa - Bozeman Mt. home of Gibson.

20220810_154110.jpg

20220810_154116.jpg

20220810_154134.jpg

20220810_154155.jpg

• Like 2

That's some serious eye candy--guaranteed to mercilessly tempt the poor folks who suffer from G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), those who constantly try to control this perpetual affliction in a delicate state of temporary remission, into potential relapse . . .  

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious, do you know the neck radius on the Bonamassa ?  

I bought a Fender Strat copy and it plays like my EVH Kramer. I think they are 12 ?

I decided I don't like the neck on my Paul Reed Smith that has a "C" neck.

Not sure of the radius.  Smaller radius for sure. Gonna sell it.

Is the Bonamassa close to the LP standard type C neck? 

I don't have neck gauges. You may have ?

Edited by CALCXX

Yeah, I do have neck gauges . . .

The neck radius on the Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty LP is 12 inches. Since it's an exact copy of a '58 Black Beauty, the neck thickness (tapered from the nut to the body joint) is a '50's-style profile (think fuller "C", but not quite a "baseball bat" like a Gibson R9). Radius and profile determine how a neck feels and its ease of playing for an individual player.

Gibson LP necks will typically be 12" radius; however, the neck thickness will be subtly different depending on the era/style ('60s profile is typically slimmer than '50s, etc.). You really have to hold and play the different necks to fully appreciate the subtle nuances--it's really a matter of personal preference (which may well change as one evolves as a player). And to be honest, every instrument will feel unique to some degree--even apparently identical copies. 

I don't have a Kramer; but from what I've heard, the radius is about 12" as well--although I understand some can be had flatter, 14-16". The necks tend to be slim, like the '60s style.

Fender Strats can have neck radii from 7.5 (early) to 9.5 inches (current). There are exceptions, like those Ultra Strats whose neck radii are dubbed "compound" (meaning 10" near the nut, gradually flattening to 14" beyond the 12th fret). 

Fender's Mod Shop website (where one can spec-out a custom model) offers good explanations/pics of their neck dimensions & styles. (Click on the neck pics on the right side of the page.)

https://www.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/mod-shop-stratocaster/0181900706.html 

Thanks for the Bonamassa details. I thought it would be close to 12/60's profile. 

The EVH Kramer is thin. I thought it was a lot like the Fender but It could be 14 maybe? Gauges are cheap.

I should buy some. 

The link offers details of Fender guitars. Easy to understand. Compound neck details also. Thanks.

Edited by CALCXX

• 3 months later...