CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best online source/brand for brake pads and rear rotor?

N1K

Need to replace my rear brake pads and rotor for my 2002 XX

Does anyone have a recommendation for best replacement pads?  Just go OEM or is there something better?

Also is there a preferred online source?

I tried to search threads but didn't see a search function for the garage.

Bless anyone's heart who has a part number(s) handy

This is like an oil discussion, there are so many variables.  Some of my favorite pads were not so great in rain, which you get a lot more of, but don't know if you ride in the rain.  The EBC HH are good, but not without their own issues.  Are you riding fast in twisties, or being old and driving slow to the grocery store like the rest of us?

• Like 1

I ride in a rain a little bit...  When my truck is clean and its wet roads.  (only takes 30 minutes to wash and wax the XX, 2.5 hours to wash and wax the truck)  :)

But when I ride in the rain its only short trips to the gym and back.

As for regular rides.  old and slow to the grocery story usually.  

Once a week I take a 'spirited' ride down to the marina and back hitting my favorite freeway ramps.  But for braking purposes, I don't think I need anything spectacular.  Very little aggressive breaking/cornering

Galfer Blacks, #1054, are all around good.  Not super great at one thing, solid in the wet, not aggressive, not grabby like HH, and basically zero rotor wear.  If your rotor is just close to done, and not truly fucked, these will basically mean you won't replace it.  The Blacks are just soft and progressive except you won't get the hard bite at full power.

https://www.solomotoparts.com/Galfer-Semi-Metallic-Rear-Brake-Pads-for-CBR1100XX-I-Super-Blackbird-97-03/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Galfer Blacks, #1054, are all around good.  Not super great at one thing, solid in the wet, not aggressive, not grabby like HH, and basically zero rotor wear.  If your rotor is just close to done, and not truly fucked, these will basically mean you won't replace it.  The Blacks are just soft and progressive except you won't get the hard bite at full power.

https://www.solomotoparts.com/Galfer-Semi-Metallic-Rear-Brake-Pads-for-CBR1100XX-I-Super-Blackbird-97-03/

Awesome,  would you call this rotor not truly fucked?

I let the current pads get to low.  So the rotor is now a little rough. (checked it at the beginning of last summer and it was still smooth)  But not deeply gouged or anything.

20220422_141831.jpg

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

The Bird came from the factory with HH pads if my memory is correct. The Galfer pads from your link are GG.

9 hours ago, N1K said:

Awesome,  would you call this rotor not truly fucked?

I let the current pads get to low.  So the rotor is now a little rough. (checked it at the beginning of last summer and it was still smooth)  But not deeply gouged or anything.

20220422_141831.jpg

Doesn't look bad enough to matter.  I might hit it with a sanding disc if you have one or just sandpaper to knock down the cheese gratering effect on the new pads, but even if you do nothing it'll just eat a bit of pad to smooth out the rotor.  The work and cost savings of not replacing the rotor totally makes up for any accelerated pad wear.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, RXX said:

Close to 200,000 miles combined on 2 birds and have never replaced a rotor.

OEM is excellent quality. I had 207 k miles on original rotors.

Factory Honda part is stupidly expensive, I'd get used one from ebay.

Brake pads? EBC HH FA series. Becouse there are other ebc HH pads like gpfa and one or two more. 

If you have to have brand new rotor get on from EBC. Excellent quality with stupid Honda price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284585965817?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=284585965817&targetid=1645685073328&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=9021672&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073328&abcId=9300841&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqKnUtYSt9wIV_2xvBB1oJwvCEAQYCyABEgJpAPD_BwE 

Screenshot_20220424-103636_Chrome.jpg

Edited by tomek