CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to straighten bike cable?

Zero Knievel

11 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Hot water?

My best guess is that the steel is the part holding the shape, and that it's done on purpose to keep it on a bike frame and not be a danger.  So we just need the water to get to a couple thousand degrees and keep it from melting the plastic off.

47 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

My best guess is that the steel is the part holding the shape, and that it's done on purpose to keep it on a bike frame and not be a danger.  So we just need the water to get to a couple thousand degrees and keep it from melting the plastic off.

I fear you may be correct.  The heat needed may be nothing short of leaving the thing stretched out on hot pavement during a sunny, summer day.

Heat it 'till the plastic drips off plus another 500F and you'll be in the ballpark of starting to get it.

But actually, if you pull it straight it'll relax the coils, the harder you pull the better it works.  Winch, come-a-long, ratchet strap...whatever you got.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:53 PM, blackhawkxx said:

Great, now we will never know what made it coil.  :)

I know what made it coil, the manufacturer, what we won't know is what it takes to un-coil.