CBR1100XX.org Forum

SOG TAC full auto knife with aluminum body, tanto blade, semi serrated, ST-04

12 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Why did you sell it?

It's not the one I wanted.  I had no idea that there were two identical-looking knives (in pictures), but one is double the size and aluminum instead of plastic bodied.  I want the ST-13.

Tim:  I just realized the one I have has the black hinge point (Devo hat) and clip, not the silver.  So like below, but the one above is the stock photo.

This is the 13, much smaller, plastic, it's what I wanted (and the one that got stolen by TSA).

20200319_093954_1100x.jpg?v=1584636160

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Tim:  I just realized the one I have has the black hinge point (Devo hat) and clip, not the silver.  So like below, but the one above is the stock photo

Perfect. I prefer the black clip and Devo hat.

Just to be curious, since I find knives interesting what is the purpose of daily carrying one? Protection? 

Is more like a hobby. 

I would think for protection I rather carry a gun and work practical use I rather probably want to carry a multi tool knife.

just looking for some insight and didn’t want to start a separate thread.

Thanks 

greg

1 hour ago, googus said:

I would think for protection I rather carry a gun and work practical use I rather probably want to carry a multi tool knife.

As Carlos advised it is a tool. Constantly in use, cutting boxes open, strings off things, zip ties off stuff. Convenient clipped to a pocket. I also carry a firearm, but a knife serves a slight purposes as a back up fighting tool if shit got that bad.

I keep a multi tool in the truck and SUVs for the reasons you mentioned.

2 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

As Carlos advised it is a tool. Constantly in use, cutting boxes open, strings off things, zip ties off stuff. Convenient clipped to a pocket. I also carry a firearm, but a knife serves a slight purposes as a back up fighting tool if shit got that bad.

I keep a multi tool in the truck and SUVs for the reasons you mentioned.

Plus, a knife saves on ammo if you have to open a lot of boxes.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

Plus, a knife saves on ammo if you have to open a lot of boxes.

You need the knife to get the first box open anyway.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, googus said:

Just to be curious, since I find knives interesting what is the purpose of daily carrying one? Protection? 

It's a tool, I use the fuck out of it.  The downside of the convenience is that sometimes I use it for the wrong things; prybar, screwdriver, hammer, ...

And since I'm not allowed to carry a gun, it could come in handy for defensive use.

5 hours ago, googus said:

Is more like a hobby. 

just looking for some insight and didn’t want to start a separate thread.

Thanks 

greg

My company does not allow most sharps to be used. They have to be spring-loaded and held open and have a dullish plastic blade, so I keep a benchmade bugout in my pocket to cut shit open and to slice my oranges. I face counseling if I am caught. I like living on the edge. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RXX said:

I face counseling if I am caught.

The key is knowing what the consequences are.  $10 fine?  I'm in....$500 fine if it's something really fun.  Death row?  Probably not.

2 hours ago, RXX said:

My company does not allow most sharps to be used. They have to be spring-loaded and held open and have a dullish plastic blade, so I keep a benchmade bugout in my pocket to cut shit open and to slice my oranges. I face counseling if I am caught. I like living on the edge. 

Trusts employees with dosing radioactive isotopes: check.  

Prohibits a common pocket knife that every 5th grader carried 30 years ago: fail.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, RXX said:

I like living on the edge. 

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The key is knowing what the consequences are.  $10 fine?  I'm in....$500 fine if it's something really fun.  Death row?  Probably not.

I never did find out the penalties for taking the Sea Doo out at night.  Our lake would be like glass at night and super quiet.  I would easily make top speed and have a great time of it.  $50?  Fuck yeah.  $500?  Hmm, maybe.  Impound and pound me in the ass federal prison?  Not so much.

Fines are not things that keep me from doing things.  They are the cost of entry, like a ticket to a movie.

Oh, reminds me of saying this to the federal squirrel police for an infraction I truly didn't know I committed, after she went on a tirade:  "Oh, it's only $50, hell, I'd just buy a prepaid book and do it every weekend!"

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Fines are not things that keep me from doing things.  They are the cost of entry, like a ticket to a movie.

A friend of mine from Kansas to the THP Trooper at the Dragon: "$218 speeding ticket?  Fuck, that's a bargain for as much as I got in yesterday, today, and not even counting what I'm gonna do tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

A friend of mine from Kansas to the THP Trooper at the Dragon: "$218 speeding ticket?  Fuck, that's a bargain for as much as I got in yesterday, today, and not even counting what I'm gonna do tomorrow!

Did he get a laugh, or a hand on the taser?

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Did he get a laugh, or a hand on the taser?

While they may have a sense of humor, I've never seen evidence.  At least, not one that wasn't at a driver's/rider's expense.

I don't know if it was here that I heard about it, but legend says a Trooper pulled a guy over on the Dragon, and the dude's bike tipped over on the sandy shoulder at some point during the stop.  Naturally, the Trooper didn't miss the opportunity to cite him for losing control of his vehicle or some such thing as well.  That probably qualifies as humor in certain circles.