CBR1100XX.org Forum

Baru Nuts, superfood or fad?

SwampNut

These are tasty and interesting.  Satisfying.  Crunchier than an almond with more of a crispy cracker give than the chew of an almond, earthy light flavor.  They have about 1/3 the fat of a typical nut and much more fiber and protein than most.  Also lower carb than most.  Seems ideal for snacking, though they are still high calorie, just slightly lower than most others.  The only downsides I can find are cost and availability.  I grabbed them on Amazon, and they are probably 2x the price of mainstream nuts (just a guess, I don't really consciously track nut prices).

A lot of the satisfaction my come from their high volume (fiber) relative to weight and calories.  A solid handful of most nuts is 35 grams and around 200 calories.  With these, it's 25g and 125 calories.  That's a big difference.  Measured scientifically with my calibrated handcrometer. Actually I do always get my nut weights within 3g if I just grab what I can hold.  YHMV

Anyway, they will become a regular in my pantry.

Amount Per 100 grams (3.52 oz) Baru Nut Cashews Almonds Peanuts Walnuts Macadamia Brazil Nut
Calories 502 574 579 587 718 718 858
Protein (g) 24.1 15.3 21.1 24.3 15.2 7.8 14.3
Carbs (g) 13.5 32.7 21.5 21.2 17.8 13.4 11.7
Iron (mg) 4.7 6 3.7 1.6 2.6 2.65 2.4
Zinc (mg) 4.4 5.6 3.1 2.7 1.2 1.3 4.0
Fiber (g) 13.5 3 12.5 8.4 6.7 8 7.5
Potassium (mg) 832 565 733 634 441 363 859

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a fad to me.  Nuts are generally healthy but have fat and calories…still better than other snack options.  I’m thinking of trying no sugar added peanut butter because I think the added sugar is part of why I feel whammied after eating some.

27 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

I’m thinking of trying no sugar added peanut butter because I think the added sugar is part of why I feel whammied after eating some.

Smuckers Natural is great, nothing but salt added and can be found all over the place.  When you open it, it has to be stirred and then kept in the fridge.    I eat way too much.

Natural Chunky Peanut Butter | Smuckers