CBR1100XX.org Forum

TPMS calibration.

CALCXX

Yesterday I shopped for outdoor roller shades.  I know Depot always has lower quality shit than Lowe's, but I get to use Amex points there so I go sometimes and compare.  The same-appearing Coolaroo shades had nicer features at Lowes.  They cost more, they were not "the same."  Different numbers, different prices, different quality.  This is probably what zero means by "the same but lower quality."  Not the same.

Back to tires, 100% bullshit flag on a tire that carries identical numbers being different somehow.  Bullshit.  BUT!  The same-appearing tire DOES come in a wide variety of load, mileage, traction, and heat ratings.  You know, like our special XX tires.  They are "the same" as the cheaper tire.

Just remembered this.  I was helping a friend shop for Jeep tires, she wanted the same Falkens I had on the Gladiator.  Their chart showed five different "same" tires.  Same size and model name, different everything else.  This is often why OEM tires and their replacements have different life.

• 4 weeks later...

This may be useless information because of the variables to consider. I will tell you what I observed anyway.

I never knew what a difference ambient temperature plays as a part in tire pressure.

The Vette is the first vehicle I have owned with TPMS.

The summary -- 68 degrees this morning. 97 degrees this afternoon.

36psi and 44psi. I think that is a lot. Never knew it varied that much.

That's a lot.  I have seen 4-5, but never that much.  I wonder if there's more going on.  I would expect to have a much wilder swing than you do.  I'm talking nights in the 50s and then a daytime over 90 and the vehicle in the sun to where you can't touch the wheel without a burn.

I've often joked about "rotating to the winter air" but it's true.  When we get one of those quick swings from a hot average to a cool average, suddenly I get tire pressure warnings.  The rolling average can drop 3-5 and the morning low pressure drops a solid 5.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:25 PM, CALCXX said:

This may be useless information because of the variables to consider. I will tell you what I observed anyway.

I never knew what a difference ambient temperature plays as a part in tire pressure.

The Vette is the first vehicle I have owned with TPMS.

The summary -- 68 degrees this morning. 97 degrees this afternoon.

36psi and 44psi. I think that is a lot. Never knew it varied that much.

You're probably using that shitty Oregon air.

I don't have TPMS and it's been forever since I checked the temperature/pressure change, but 8 PSI seems like a lot.

Humid air might have more expansion than dry air, that could explain the difference between the AZ and OR experiences.  If anyone knows about the temp/humidity/pressure thing I'd love to know.

• Upvote 1