CBR1100XX.org Forum

TPMS calibration.

CALCXX

I bought a used set of C5 wheels/tires. The guy said they all (tpms) worked. Also said I may need to calibrate them?

Also said all TPMS are the same. I think they should be? Don't know?

Is this true? How is this done?  I like the idea of TPMS. 

Nevermind found this. eezy peezy

Edited by CALCXX

Another option might be America's Tire/Discount Tire.  A while back I bought an Altima that had dead sensors.  America's sells them for around $65ea including installation and programming which is a fair price.  I found a full set on Amazon for $45 and according to the ad and many reviews they're easy to DIY program, but I couldn't get them to work.  I went to America's and a guy came out with a device and got them set up for free in just a few minutes.

While chatting he said I got a good price, not knowing it was for all four, and said that whatever I paid after mounting was probably about the same as they charge and I wouldn't have had to hassle with them.  When he found out it was $45 for four he said 'well, now I know where to get them when I need them."

• 2 months later...

Glad it worked out for you. $45 is a good deal for 4 sensors. The used C5 wheels have been on the car for about six weeks now.

Working great and it was a 5 minute job to calibrate them following the instructions from the YT vid.

Leaving on my road trip in two weeks. I needed to feel good about these used wheels and tires. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:17 AM, superhawk996 said:

Another option might be America's Tire/Discount Tire.  A while back I bought an Altima that had dead sensors.  America's sells them for around $65ea including installation and programming which is a fair price.  I found a full set on Amazon for $45 and according to the ad and many reviews they're easy to DIY program, but I couldn't get them to work.  I went to America's and a guy came out with a device and got them set up for free in just a few minutes.

While chatting he said I got a good price, not knowing it was for all four, and said that whatever I paid after mounting was probably about the same as they charge and I wouldn't have had to hassle with them.  When he found out it was $45 for four he said 'well, now I know where to get them when I need them."

I had the exact same experience when I put Jeep JL wheels on my JK. Prior owner kept the sensors. I bought a set on Amazon and had a local tire shop program them with a handheld sensor.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey unexpected!  While on my road trip last week, I would check the DIC often. ( Temps, oil p, fuel, tire p ect,ect. )

The tire pressure was slowly falling on the R Rear. I wasn't too worried because the tires are Run Flat Tires. ( @ 55 mph )

The low p <setpoint is 25psi. it was 26 psi when I took it next door in the morning. One psi from Alarm.

Somewhere across eastern AZ and Albuquerque NM, the tire was punctured. 

What luck, the Hotel we booked in Santa fe is right next door to a big tire shop.

This tire shop has their shit together, I was impressed. A guy came out as soon as we arrived. 

Gathered our information in minutes. While seated in the lobby only for minutes, I get a status report on my phone with expected completion time.

Even got a message of completion. DONE No shit. They removed the tire, plugged, patched, mount and balance in a very short time.

I asked the guy, what do I owe you? He said nuthin. Discount Tire Santa fe Nm.

I kinda derailed my own thread. I am trying to say, I really like TPMS and Discount Tire in Santa fe.

• Upvote 2

Discount Tire is one of those weird Southwest gems that everyone raves about.  Like the convenience stores I've talked about, every manager and counter guy has been a tire buster.  You don't hire into any high end roles (except IT eventually, because well, you don't want most IT people touching anything mechanical).  This drives understanding at every level.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

That is great but why didn't you have to pay?  

I guess it was just good PR ?  I didn't expect free tire repair.  All is well.

21 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

That is great but why didn't you have to pay?  

4 hours ago, CALCXX said:

I guess it was just good PR ?  I didn't expect free tire repair.  All is well.

Pretty much.  I bought the cheapest tires they had for the pickup (since it sees very little use in any given year).  Asked them to swap out the best used tire as a replacement of the original spare (1998).  No biggie.  Mount and balance for free.

I have bad luck having anything done for me so of course America's has fucked me, but they treat people well and all my friends/customers have had great service from them.

They also don't charge you for rotation and balance on a new car with OEM tires.  AND!!!  They did a free warranty replacement on an OEM tire for me, presumably they turned it in to the manufacturer.

Normally I just walk in and pay what they are asking, because of this.  But for the latest tires, the stackable rebate deal on Tire Rack cut the price by a huge amount, then I saw that they had partnered with Discount, and it was an easy choice.  Ordered Sunday, delivered to Discount on Tuesday.

I miss Discount.  Used them for about 35 years and no issues and lots of no cost repairs.

I used the local military auto shop and they did a crappy job.  The good thing is I found a good German tire shop that does great work and is reasonable.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:51 AM, azxr said:

Used them for about 35 years and no issues

Let me count the ways....Explorer- didn't install one of the center caps right and it flew off on the freeway.  Cherokee- wrecked several studs/nuts.  F-350- tried to put 85psi in 50psi max off-road tires that I'd told them I run 35 in.  I was tempted to let the machine run and see if they'd explode, but if they didn't then I'd be worried about the possibility that they were damaged and that they'd blow later.

I have bad luck for getting anything done for me.  I still use them and recommend them to people, nobody else has had issues that I know of and they treat you well.

Apparently they have a 'love it or leave it' type thing with new tires and you can exchange them for free for a certain amount of time/miles.  My friend wanted 35" tires for her Jeep after we installed the lift.  Her dad took it in and was talked into 31s, retarded, and he took a lot of flack.  He went back and got the 35s, then decided they were too big so he got 33's.  I kept meaning to ask them what they do with barely used tires and never did.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:51 PM, azxr said:

I miss Discount.  Used them for about 35 years and no issues and lots of no cost repairs.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Let me count the ways....

Like anyplace else, it's who runs the place.  Poorly trained or irresponsible technicians and management that doesn't own their mistakes is going to be bad news.  The reason we stopped buying tires at Wal Mart compared to Sam's Club was because we were getting less life out of the SAME TIRE available in Sams...as if Wal Mart was getting old/inferior quality stock.  Never had an issue with the technicians doing a sloppy job.

7 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

The reason we stopped buying tires at Wal Mart compared to Sam's Club was because we were getting less life out of the SAME TIRE available in Sams...as if Wal Mart was getting old/inferior quality stock.

That's because you're a nut job.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

The reason we stopped buying tires at Wal Mart compared to Sam's Club was because we were getting less life out of the SAME TIRE available in Sams...as if Wal Mart was getting old/inferior quality stock.

Hahahahahaha.  Seriously.  Read that back to yourself.  Jesus fucking christ.  The Sam's I go to shares a building with Walmart, and the same truck drops off the tires to both. But somehow they are segregated into good and bad tires.  Fucking LOL.  And the date code is right on the damn tire.  Fuck, now I'm dumber for the day and my blood pressure is 20% higher.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Hahahahahaha.  Seriously.  Read that back to yourself.  Jesus fucking christ.  The Sam's I go to shares a building with Walmart, and the same truck drops off the tires to both. But somehow they are segregated into good and bad tires.  Fucking LOL.  And the date code is right on the damn tire.  Fuck, now I'm dumber for the day and my blood pressure is 20% higher.

I know for a fact that I bought the same item from a retailer and from Wal Mart.  The Wal Mart version was lower quality.  Not with ALL products Wal Mart covers, but considering they dictate what suppliers must provide and at what price, why wouldn't companies funnel inferior products to Wal Mart.

You're actually serious.  Wow.

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

why wouldn't companies funnel inferior products to Wal Mart.

For one, because there's no logic in it.  You don't just choose to make a product "lower quality."

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

You're actually serious.  Wow.

For one, because there's no logic in it.  You don't just choose to make a product "lower quality."

There are many ways to shave costs off of production…especially if the retail chain is demanding a good for a price point that doesn’t generate profit.  All I know is that from time to time, I’ve gotten the same item from another retailer and the build quality is superior to the one from Walmart.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Go ahead, tell us one.

Cheaper, flimsier components.  Less QC process on the manufacturing line.

Same brand.  Same item.  World of difference what I got on the road at a sporting goods store to replace the version I got from Wal Mart before my trip.