CBR1100XX.org Forum

Copper conductor corrosion

SwampNut

When is it dangerous to use?  This cord was used outdoors in a wet environment (marine, boat shore power).  The female end apparently had water come in.  I cut it off and it was blacker than a whore's heart, but not flaky.  I cut off three feet and it's starting to look cleaner.  The other end is perfect.  Should I keep cutting?  Any danger here?  I wired it up with an L6-30P and N6-50R for a welder adapter and extension.  The welder is rated at 30a but came with a 50a plug.  My garages are all L6-30R.

7063856E-4B58-40D7-8206-B7618B83CA53_1_105_c.jpeg

10 gauge, since it's only 30 amps.

I have a lot of CorrosionX, I haven't seen it clean anything.  It would protect it from moisture.  It's incredibly great at that part.  After the photo I cleaned the conductors a bit and got them really tight.  That 6-50 recep lets you really tighten them well.

• Upvote 1

Its dangerous when the copper is green or white, powdery and falls apart and/or when the insulation cracks and falls off in pieces. I would have had no hesitation just using those stripped ends as-is for an extension cord but that's just me. Maybe if they were blacker I would have shined them up a bit with some emery cloth but otherwise wouldn't have fucked around with it.  

My only fear would be resistance, and the things that can manifest from that, at the connection.  I might separate the strands and shine them all up if the blackening wasn't just on the surface.

• Upvote 1