CBR1100XX.org Forum

Parting out '99 Superhawk

The CCT failed and I hear I hear bent valves are pretty common.  Which is strange because aren't CCT failures on our bikes do damage like that do they?

Good news is someone saw my craigslist ad and bought the whole thing.  I bought it sight unseen after being told it was ready to ride with new valves but that turned out to be a lie.  Only lost 50 bucks though so It's ok.

I doubt it run in the past five years, the gas in the tank was so bad I could smell the bike from almost a block away.  Almost every single thing on that bike needed attention. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2022 at 5:41 AM, silverbird1100 said:

The CCT failed and I hear I hear bent valves are pretty common.  Which is strange because aren't CCT failures on our bikes do damage like that do they?

500 cc cylinders, bigger valves and greater valve lift. Most likely longer cam duration as well. Less room for error.

Well, most likely just bent 2 intake valves, seats intact, but never know till you open it up. Looks like easy engine to remove, and work on though.

And, no, thanks. I'm way behind on current projects. And I would not own anything with less than 3 cylinders. Street bike.

13 hours ago, tomek said:

500 cc cylinders, bigger valves and greater valve lift. Most likely longer cam duration as well. Less room for error.

I too was thinking that a little slop shouldn't be a problem, but you bring up a good point.  I remember reading that aftermarket cams for the SH required aftermarket or modified pistons so it's likely that there is less room for error.