CBR1100XX.org Forum

Videos like this make me smarter.

Zero Knievel

I can't stand that fucking guy, and he's often wrong giving shitty advice.  He's the only person on YouTube that's banned me from his channel for challenging his retardation being peddled as correct information.  I don't recall an instance where my scanner didn't clear a code without there being a fault.  If there's a fault then of course it'll appear as tho the scanner didn't clear it since the fault code will pop right back up.

• Like 1

Yes, he is annoying to listen to, and videos could be half the time, but I love the little pictures he posts at random in the corner of the screen.  Most of them are pretty funny.  As far as him being incorrect, I can't remember anything specific that he has presented that I thought was completely wrong.  Do you have any examples?

1 hour ago, jon haney said:

As far as him being incorrect, I can't remember anything specific that he has presented that I thought was completely wrong.  Do you have any examples?

There was one about curing a catalytic converter efficiency code, P0420.  He did his 'magic', ran the engine for a little while and-- "The engine light didn't come back on so my trick works!"  It can sometimes take hundreds of miles for the light to come on, and it'll never come on within minutes even with no cat.  A minor offense, but it's wrong.  There's been worse, but I haven't watched his stuff in so long I don't remember them.  Sometimes it's stuff that's not necessarily outright wrong, just retarded, like how to do a 57 point diagnostic inspection to find a misfire that a scanner would reveal in seconds.

11 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Nice nugget of info….

I didn’t know that scan tools don’t always clear all codes or that a 99 cent resistor could do the job.  Nice thing to know for future reference.

If you want to watch someone that actually knows his shit and does things right, check out FordTechMakuloco.  He only works on Fords, generally just late model stuff, but it gives you an idea of what knowledge looks like.  His videos tend to be on the long side, but it's tons of info with very little wasted time.  There's a few others that do general repair vids, but no names come to mind.

Anyone who talks like the bonehead above is probably not worth listening to, unless you find him entertaining, but back up anything he says with a more reliable source.  I skimmed through this video and what he says about discharging a car's system too fast without using the resistor I'm 99.99% sure is bullshit.  What he suggests doing will get the job done and causes no harm, it's just a retarded extra thing to do.

14 hours ago, jon haney said:

Yes, he is annoying to listen to, and videos could be half the time, but I love the little pictures he posts at random in the corner of the screen.  Most of them are pretty funny.  As far as him being incorrect, I can't remember anything specific that he has presented that I thought was completely wrong.  Do you have any examples?

Of all his videos, he is prone to clickbait (thumbnail isn’t first item discussed or just plain misleading with vague, grandiose verbiage), but he’s more credible than your average auto shop tech trying to convince you to pay for expensive work that may have a simple solution.

In this video, he was saying something true.  His $5,000 scan tool would clear all codes.  The inexpensive ones you can get at auto shops don’t always get them all…something that CAN be true with cheap products (when I’ve gone to AutoZone for a free scan/clearing, they grab a unit that’s their top tier scanner and not the base model they sell).  He also said it’s possible for error codes to be retained in the system.  In the early days of computers in cars, you disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes.  Everything resets to factory default.  I did this a couple of times on my S-10 pickup which had electronic fuel delivery.  It was running odd, so I did that and waited to see if it returned.  It didn’t.

He then goes on to say on the newer cars (certainly CANbus and newer) this may not be enough.  That some would “discharge” the computers’ capacitors by touching disconnected positive and negative terminals…which can damage the computers by creating unregulated voltage spikes.  His tip was to use a resistor to bridge the positive and negative…producing a slow, controlled discharge that would clear the volatile memory on all computer modules.

I never did the positive to negative thing before, and I didn’t know that disconnected terminals could damage the computer modules when not connected to power.  So, on the Prius and BMW, if I want to eliminate the possibility of stale error codes, I know that just disconnecting the battery may not be enough…or at least to use a quality code reader (which I do have for the BMW).

Edited by Zero Knievel

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

In this video, he was saying something true.  His $5,000 scan tool would clear all codes.  The inexpensive ones you can get at auto shops don’t always get them all…

Did he show it not clearing a code or you just believe it's true?  I'm guessing the latter and if I'm wrong I'd appreciate a time stamp to it.

The reader I use most often is a HF special and don't recall it not clearing a code that wasn't an active fault.  Unless it's in the ABS or other system which it doesn't communicate with.  One of my others is a higher end HF special that does ABS and SRS, and despite being a cheapo it clears all codes as well.  If he specifically said that the cheapo won't erase SRS or ABS codes then yea, because it can't communicate with those modules.

And back to your title; while he might make you smarter, he's also making you dumber.  The worst kind of dumb, the one who thinks he's right because he got his information from "a guy that knows his shit."  I'm not giving you shit for it, the vast majority of the people who watch him don't know better either.  The final kicker for me was when I posted proof in his comment section and he erased it and banned me from commenting.  I've corrected lots of people on YT and I'm pretty sure he's the only one that's ever banned me, he wanted to make sure that his followers stayed ignorant.

There are good people on YT/ social media that want to serve/help humanity, but most are fucking narcissists who do it just to have always ready supply of admirers.

If info to empty talk is worse then 0.5 I stop watching after about 10 seconds. 

That guy was in 0.1 range. 

Edited by tomek

7 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Of all his videos, he is prone to clickbait (thumbnail isn’t first item discussed or just plain misleading with vague, grandiose verbiage), but he’s more credible than your average auto shop tech trying to convince you to pay for expensive work that may have a simple solution.

In this video, he was saying something true.  His $5,000 scan tool would clear all codes.  The inexpensive ones you can get at auto shops don’t always get them all…something that CAN be true with cheap products (when I’ve gone to AutoZone for a free scan/clearing, they grab a unit that’s their top tier scanner and not the base model they sell).  He also said it’s possible for error codes to be retained in the system.  In the early days of computers in cars, you disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes.  Everything resets to factory default.  I did this a couple of times on my S-10 pickup which had electronic fuel delivery.  It was running odd, so I did that and waited to see if it returned.  It didn’t.

He then goes on to say on the newer cars (certainly CANbus and newer) this may not be enough.  That some would “discharge” the computers’ capacitors by touching disconnected positive and negative terminals…which can damage the computers by creating unregulated voltage spikes.  His tip was to use a resistor to bridge the positive and negative…producing a slow, controlled discharge that would clear the volatile memory on all computer modules.

I never did the positive to negative thing before, and I didn’t know that disconnected terminals could damage the computer modules when not connected to power.  So, on the Prius and BMW, if I want to eliminate the possibility of stale error codes, I know that just disconnecting the battery may not be enough…or at least to use a quality code reader (which I do have for the BMW).

A wall of text to defend the indefensible.  SMFH.  You have an actual live mechanic right here with experience across many devices and hundreds of cars, but Youtube is always right.  Unfuckingreal.

which can damage the computers by creating unregulated voltage spikes.

Jesus fucking Christ that is so fucking retarded.

On 2/5/2022 at 2:03 AM, Zero Knievel said:

You now have a computer tech and a mechanic telling you that just doesn't happen.  Think about it, how do you get a voltage spike going down to 0 volts?  If anything, there's a 'spike' when you re-connect the battery and nobody does that with a resistor.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

How do you get an unregulated spike down a line with many regulators?

hqdefault.jpg

Ya got me.  I'll have to refer you to the crackhead YT mechanic.  He should have a few 57 minute videos loudly explaining it all.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:16 AM, superhawk996 said:

You now have a computer tech and a mechanic telling you that just doesn't happen.  Think about it, how do you get a voltage spike going down to 0 volts?  If anything, there's a 'spike' when you re-connect the battery and nobody does that with a resistor.

So, now I'm wondering where this (mis)information comes from.  Don't think Scotty just pulled this out of his ass.  My guess is that some, or several, car manufacturers feed this info to students in their certified training courses, and maybe, under a very specific set of circumstances, damage could be done.  I'm thinking amperage spike, rather than voltage, but I agree that that shouldn't be able to happen.  Seems like it's what I like to call, CYA info.