CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike restoration talk - 1972 R5 350

SwampNut

18 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

I have some, pretty magical.  The rust spots are 3D though, meaning you can feel them.  I *think* that stuff will not fix that?  Do you know?  I guess it's worth a try, can't make it worse.

It will work, (depending how 3D) but will wear your thumb out. I like to put a screwdriver behind it to get leverage and work it in small tight spirals. My primary thumb was screwed back together after an incident where a black female pepper sprayed me and I broke my hand and a lot of her face fighting through it to get her in cuffs. YMMV.

Just now, SwampNut said:

Other than Chinesium. I bought one at a similar price point and it was aggravating. Things like the fuel inlet line being clocked 180 degrees the wrong direction and it leaking. Probably depends how much rice the kid got a lunch.  I eventually shit canned it and rebuilt my OEM one for the CT110. I have heard of people being happy with the Re-Pro ones....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

The one thing that I found:

• Applicable displacement: 175/200 / 250cc.

12 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I can't find "Re-Pro" as a brand in a search.  Mikunis are $100, so big difference.  But as you talk and I think about it, rebuild makes way more sense.  Never mind, on to kits...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383595999006

Wrong kit.

12 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Wrong kit.

Good point, a lot of incorrect ones come up on a search.  I hadn't yet added the R5 to the eBay Garage to limit results.

I think I'm going to order the most obvious things like every gasket/seal type thing, and the control cables, and go from there.

Probably 10 years ago I ordered a carb from Ebay for my Dad's CM200.  Worked great with no adjustments.  I do recall being extremely surprised.  Sold the bike, so don't know about longevity.

I ordered an inexpensive lift for this.  I was going to get the HF for $15 less, then realized there are a bunch of little details where this is slightly improved or stronger.  I want to strap the frame into it and hopefully be able to strip it, while being able to move it around out of the way as needed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CODPFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

715J8-HCsiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've taken over the mission.  I didn't plan on making it pretty, figured that might happen way down the road.  I didn't take any close-ups before digging in, I'm glad Carlos took some.

I got it running and have put a few miles on it.  Just short local low speed rides, pretty sure the tires are original and I don't wanna wear them out 😂   I wish Bridgestone still made them in this size, but there's several options from modern sport rubber to vintage style which is what I'll probably do.

Before bringing it home.

image.thumb.jpeg.9c2efd5d6f60de977a036dde9adb5fb4.jpeg

After some cleaning/polishing.

I only did part of the wheel.  My focus was on the hub and brakes.  The shoes and drum are in great shape, the mechanism was pretty sticky from the 52 year old grease so I tore it all apart to clean & lube, smooth as butter now.

image.thumb.jpeg.67e675a0e3a6c9cd846a039f56a901ea.jpeg

The fender was pretty ugly.  I didn't get a before, but Carlos posted one at the beginning of this thread.  I also cleaned up the forks, and cleaned the seals before changing the fork oil.  It was very low, but surprisingly clean which I was glad to see.  Factory fill is 10-30 motor oil.  I started with 15wt fork oil, too stiff.  I then swapped a little for 5wt, now they feel pretty good.  If I'd had 10-30 or 10wt. fork oil on hand I woulda just done that.  I didn't plan for changing it, it just became a "while I'm already here" job while cleaning.

image.thumb.jpeg.82a779bb4b0703de4eaa5c2db3418369.jpeg

The tach locked up, since I had to remove it to fix it, it was a good time to polish it up.  The speedo is also done now.  One of the instrument bulbs was burnt out and one was missing, kinda odd.  New bulbs showed up yesterday evening so I'm gonna replace them all today.

image.thumb.jpeg.8ad43c111eca13998f0fc16b3ee3189f.jpeg

How I spent my cold rainy President's day.  The chain guard, mufflers, gas tank, and oil tank are coming along.

image.thumb.jpeg.5bb95cc229ae9a96a614cbbfd4be2f2b.jpeg

A quick before/after of the tail end.  I'd already started on the fender when I thought to get a pic of the taillight bracket.

image.thumb.jpeg.7d57f8c43ad6dd45d200e21a32bc4935.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6d7a2c9dc6d6dd0654029d2e387781f0.jpeg

Everything I've opened up has been like a perfectly preserved time capsule.  I was going to capture/replace the 52 year old Japanese air but it smelled like radiation so I let it go.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e80ecf82736fcfff117bc487459895a.jpeg

• Like 2

It takes motivation to spend hours rubbing on metal.  I start out motivated then it seems to go away.  It's looking good. 

After studying the pic with the tire in it, looks fine, nothing to worry about. 🤥🤥🤥 

6 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

After studying the pic with the tire in it, looks fine, nothing to worry about.

It just needs a soak in wintergreen oil and it'll be good as new.

• Haha 1