CBR1100XX.org Forum

Green bell peppers versus red or yellow bell peppers

XXitanium

I made it to 61 and I learned something today. And I had to say you were right to my wife which really hurt.

Red and yellow bell peppers are ripe green bell peppers are not. Red and yellow bell peppers cost more because they are harder to keep on the shelves and closer to withering and rotting. They are also sweeter.

Seriously, I had no idea.

I've told people that a lot recently as my friends and neighbors have also started up gardens, and asked why one of our plants has both green and red.  For some, mind blown, for others it was an argument as they could not absorb something so shocking to their entire world view.

Do you want to hear about green vs red Jalapeños?

Green tea and black are the same tea, one is fermented.

Black and green olives......WAIT FOR IT.............same.

Avocados may never ripen if they get really cold, like being refrigerated.  Most of them gain the magical ability to go from hard to mushy black nastiness without the extra step of being edible.  Keep them on the counter until at or near ripe, THEN refrigerate and they will stay there for a long time.

Bananas and apples give off a lot of ethylene gas, which is a plant hormone that causes ripening.  So you can "push ripen" most other fruit by bagging them together.  But that will also push the banana/apple itself too.

Melons will ripen cold, but will produce very little of the anti-oxidants and other benefits.  They should be left out until they are fully ripe, then go in the fridge.  Because who doesn't prefer a cold melon over warm??

Oh, this guy does not care, he's a melon fiend.

image.png

14 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Those purple hot peppers turned red.

Our Purple UFOs have had some red/plum colored ones also.  I can't find the correlation between color and flavors on those.  The jalapeños are currently ultra bright red, which a few years ago, correlated with both maximum flavor and heat.  I had some off-red ones last week that were super bright in flavor with great citrus.  I'm pushing them now to see how far they will go.

The aji limon are producing a ton, and are super tasty, and way hotter than expected.  Well north of a jalapeño.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I've grown different colors of bells and don't recall having a green turn red or yellow, did they just not sit long enough?

Likely.  I’m not sure if they MUST ripen on the vine or once picked.  Did you try storing one in a paper bag so the confined glasses would speed up ripening?

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Likely.  I’m not sure if they MUST ripen on the vine or once picked.  Did you try storing one in a paper bag so the confined glasses would speed up ripening?

No.  They generally came off and got eaten as with most of the garden stuff.