CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone know how the garage door opener light is triggered?

SwampNut

No, not by showing it a picture of Trump.

The door light is obviously controllable from the wall panel just like the door.  Being that it's two wires, it has to do something besides just close the circuit, which activates the door.  I'm wanting to be able to control the light via home automation, to accomplish one thing.  I want the light to stay on at all times when the door is open, not time out after five minutes.  I can easily use a wifi switch, but that just opens the door of course.  What's the magic in the control box?  I am guessing a resistor but can't find the answers online.

Ours comes on when power is applied (we have them on a switched circuit).  They also come on when door is opened or closed.  If open and you break the security eye near the floor, the light comes back on.  I don't know if the switch will do light only.

I'm thinking there's a delay timer inside the opener. It's probably on a circuit board (duh) but it should be easy to spot because it will have a relay for the 120V to the light bulb. As for reprogramming it, I"m sure it's possible, but it would be a hell of a job just for a light. Why not just hook a wifi switch into or onto the garage door opener. If it's on the top you won't see it or the wires. It won't be as elegant, but it sounds easier to me. 

There's a timer for sure.  But the button on the wall can override it.  How exactly it does that is my question.  A wifi switch can't control the light directly.  I don't care how it looks already, it's my holder for all the shop wiring anyway.

1 hour ago, JoWhee said:

I'm thinking there's a delay timer inside the opener. It's probably on a circuit board (duh) but it should be easy to spot because it will have a relay for the 120V to the light bulb. As for reprogramming it, I"m sure it's possible, but it would be a hell of a job just for a light. Why not just hook a wifi switch into or onto the garage door opener. If it's on the top you won't see it or the wires. It won't be as elegant, but it sounds easier to me. 

Mom wanted me to do something after the bulb in her garage bay went out and she had to fumble in the dark to find her way into the basement.  I bought a pack of LED night lights and some adapters.  Plugged them in where each garage door opener plugged in with the LED emitters facing the floor.  If it's dark and there is power to the system, they provide more than enough light to find your way around the garage.  She felt it still wasn't enough and put an old photocell-activated night light by the door to the basement.

1 minute ago, SwampNut said:

There's a timer for sure.  But the button on the wall can override it.  How exactly it does that is my question.  A wifi switch can't control the light directly.  I don't care how it looks already, it's my holder for all the shop wiring anyway.

Not that I know the unit in question, BUT some switches will hit the light if you press the button gently (or tap it), but if you press is hard/hold it, it does the light and opens/closes the door.  It's an easy enough thing to test.

I've never seen that.  Both of my openers have a light button, and a door button.  Every opener I've ever owned was like that.

The only thing I can come up with so far is to cycle a wifi switch connected to the light button so it pretends to press it.

21 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

She felt it still wasn't enough and put an old photocell-activated night light by the door to the basement.

<facepalm> 

Why the hell didn't I think of that? I literally have a motion detector in my garage hooked up to its own light. DOH!

Of course it was easy for me to do the install as it's an unheated detached garage, so running the wiring was pretty easy. The light comes on and stays on as long as there's motion, so as long as I'm not having a nap in there it's lit. 

2 hours ago, JoWhee said:

<facepalm> 

Why the hell didn't I think of that? I literally have a motion detector in my garage hooked up to its own light. DOH!

Of course it was easy for me to do the install as it's an unheated detached garage, so running the wiring was pretty easy. The light comes on and stays on as long as there's motion, so as long as I'm not having a nap in there it's lit. 

Did I actually just SOLVE a problem?

Garage one has an opener with a motion sensor, and the safety photocell also makes the light turn on if the beam is broken.  Garage 2 has a shitty contract cheapo opener, and I have no real motivation to change it.  I put a wifi motion, temp, and humidity sensor ($23) in there so it tells the home automation system to turn other lights on/off.  I wanted the temp sensing anyway since I run heat in the winter and want to make sure it's not in some runaway condition.  And added a CO/smoke detector of course.

I still haven't taken the panel apart in garage 2 to see how it activates the light.  So many projects.