CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spark plug wrench

Just buy the correct size in a deep socket and have one of those mini magnet probes.  I’ve used that over a spark plug wrench for years.  For tightening, I gently unscrew until I feel the thread alignment pop…then gently hand tighten.  You’ll know right away if something is amiss.

28 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

?

It's an old trick to prevent cross-threading. Gently rotating the socket counterclockwise while aligned vertically will let you feel when the plug's leading thread drops a tiny bit into alignment with the head's first thread gap. It's subtle, and requires a deft touch, but it does work.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, ironmike said:

It's an old trick to prevent cross-threading. Gently rotating the socket counterclockwise while aligned vertically will let you feel when the plug's leading thread drops a tiny bit into alignment with the head's first thread gap. It's subtle, and requires a deft touch, but it does work.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who knows that trick.  Works great when you have to thread a bolt by feel because you don’t have a good line of sight.  Mostly, I do this installing oil filters where I’m lucky to just get my hand in place.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, ironmike said:

Ahhh.  Yea, I've done it on some stuff.  It's not something I'd think about with a BB spark plug since it would take effort to cross thread it.

16 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Do you really foresee changing a plug on the road?

Not in the next 20 or so years. :)

If I decide to sell one of the bikes I would want to give the new owner a spark plug wrench.

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck it. I have 2 sets of tools. I’ll send you one. It’s not like I am picky about shit like that. The lack of a plug wrench will not affect the sake of either of my bikes once I am gone. Never used either of them so what’s the point? PM your address and I will get around to it soon.

12 minutes ago, RXX said:

Fuck it. I have 2 sets of tools. I’ll send you one. It’s not like I am picky about shit like that. The lack of a plug wrench will not affect the sake of either of my bikes once I am gone. Never used either of them so what’s the point? PM your address and I will get around to it soon.

I think Joe already took care of him as per a couple of posts up.

Yeah, but the shed door is frozen shut and I haven't been able to get in there. I think yesterday was the first day in two weeks that it hasn't been below zero at some point every 24 hours.  If Tom's in a hurry, Philip can send these off.  Garage door, shed door, and back door to the house are frozen solid.

14 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Yeah, but the shed door is frozen shut and I haven't been able to get in there. I think yesterday was the first day in two weeks that it hasn't been below zero at some point every 24 hours.  If Tom's in a hurry, Philip can send these off.  Garage door, shed door, and back door to the house are frozen solid.

Did you move in with Bill?  :)

On 2/3/2022 at 5:33 AM, rockmeupto125 said:

I’m in no hurry. Not selling either bike in the near future. Thanks again for the offer. 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:15 AM, RXX said:

Thanks for the offer but Joe has me covered. I’m just very anal about stuff like that, I like to have a complete set just in case.