CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb rebuild kits for 1997 XX

TFT

The carbs on my 1997 XX are gummed up, they have never been rebuilt.

I had the same issue with my other 97 XX that I sold. 

I found this Carburetor rebuild kit and am considering ordering it.

Any experience with this or any recommendations?

https://www.motorcycleid.com/1997-honda-cbr1100xx-super-blackbird-carburetor-rebuild-kits/

Edited by TFT

1 hour ago, TFT said:

I tried starting it and it won’t stay running, it starts, idles for a few seconds and then acts like it’s running out of fuel and dies. 
any thoughts?

Low speed circuit. It could be number of things. Carb cleaner and compressed air is your friend. 

Rebuild kit will fix the issue if only pilot jet is blocked. 

There are 3-4 holes at the bottom of venturi that provide fuel during low load/speed operation. They matter during idle and when you start to open the throttle. The adjustment screw controls only one of them.

Anyway, I would completely disassemble carbs, remove bowls, all jets, try to clean it with compressed air and carb cleaner as much as possible.

14 hours ago, TFT said:

I tried starting it and it won’t stay running, it starts, idles for a few seconds and then acts like it’s running out of fuel and dies. 
any thoughts?

Is this with the choke on?  How long was it parked?

17 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Is this with the choke on?  How long was it parked?

Yes, with choke on. It was parked for at least 6-8 months.

The other thing I've been thinking about is the fact that the bike is 25 years old. Maybe it's time to go through the whole thing, flush and change all the fluids and tear down the carbs. 

It's always been garaged, a heated garage where it spent most of its life until 2019 when I road it down from AK to AZ and then unfortunately in a "heated" garage in AZ during the summer months. It ran great on that trip from AK to AZ but it just hasn't been ridden much since then. 

Edited by TFT

33 minutes ago, TFT said:

Yes, with choke on. It was parked for at least 6-8 months.

The other thing I've been thinking about is the fact that the bike is 25 years old. Maybe it's time to go through the whole thing, flush and change all the fluids and tear down the carbs. 

It's always been garaged, a heated garage where it spent most of its life until 2019 when I road it down from AK to AZ and then unfortunately in a "heated" garage in AZ during the summer months. It ran great on that trip from AK to AZ but it just hasn't been ridden much since then. 

Giving it a maintenance makeover never hurts, but might not cure the problem depending on what it is.

Mine sits for months at a time outside and so far it's been fine.  Fuel only flows from the tank while the engine is cranking or running.  It'll usually take several seconds of cranking for the carbs to get enough fuel that it'll start, and quite often it'll take a couple more cranks/stalls before it stays running.  If after 4-5 stalls it still won't stay running then something's wrong, before that it means nothing.

I agree with Tomek on this.  Clean, clean, clean.

If storing in a hot AZ garage for more than a week or two, I would drain the float bowls.

It stored for more than a couple months, use fuel preservative and/or non-ethanol gas.

I should have a set of cv carbs laying around at my compound.

I'll try to get some relevant pics over the weekend.

Also, doesn't xx has one of those vacuum operated petcocks? Maybe bypass it for diagnostic purposes?

Edited by tomek

1 hour ago, tomek said:

I should have a set of cv carbs laying around at my compound.

I'll try to get some relevant pics over the weekend.

Also, doesn't xx has one of those vacuum operated petcocks? Maybe bypass it for diagnostic purposes?

Yep. 

This bike really hasn't had any major maintenance in the past 15-20 years. Brake fluid change, oil changes, air filters, brake pads,  and of course quite a few sets of tires but that has been it. Oh and a CCT replaced as well as a rectifier. 

4 hours ago, jon haney said:

If storing in a hot AZ garage for more than a week or two, I would drain the float bowls.

It stored for more than a couple months, use fuel preservative and/or non-ethanol gas.

Those are the 'right' things to do, but they seem to be unnecessary.  Mine sits outside and has seen 30 degrees to well over 100 with E-10 and no prep.  It's been a few months so I decided to fire it up.  It took just over 10 seconds for the first little sputters to start happening, then at about 15 it briefly started and stopped.  It did that a couple more times then stayed running but very rough.  A few seconds later it cleared up.

I'd try superhawks suggestions first. Many carb bikes do have low pressure fuel pump, and it is possible to fill bowls with fuel by turning key on-off couple of times before cranking the engine, but XX is not one of those.

Anyway, pics from Mikuni carbs, should be all about the same.

Pics with pilot fuel jet in place and removed. 

20220115_212642.jpg

20220115_211713.jpg

Edited by tomek

Remove idle mixture adjustment screw, but before you do it turn it all the way in. Count the turns. You gonna have to reinstall it exactly the same way (turns). Usually it is around 3 turns out from fully turned in position. 

Clean it with carb cleaner. It will be flowing from just on hole. 

Carb turning is becoming lost art, but as you can see adjustment screw controls flow only to one of 4 holes on the floor. So, sometimes turning the screw won't fix lean conditions under certain loads, different jet is needed. 

20220115_212206.jpg

Edited by tomek

11 hours ago, tomek said:

Keep the throttle open but sticking something in the other one, remove pilot jet, and spray carb cleaner like in the picture.

20220115_211941.jpg

Thanks for all the pics and info.

I spent most of the afternoon yesterday trying to get the carb bank separated from the engine, I could not break them free and I'm afraid of causing damage.

I spoke to the owner of the local motorcycle repair shop and they are going to pick up the bike on Tuesday. 

Sometimes you can clear out the jets by spraying through the air jet so you don't have to take the bowls off.  When you look into the carb's air inlet you should have two air jets facing you, I think the larger one is for the idle jet.  If you haven't taken everything apart yet you can give that a shot and see if it runs.

What mileage has the bike done? My '97 is on 279k km now, and is using a fuckton of fuel compared to 15 years ago. Took the needles and mainjets and looked at them under a strong magnifying lens and the wear is visible.  I have replacement needles and stock mains on order, and waiting for arrival. Might be worth considering if your bike has seen high mileage 

5 hours ago, TFT said:

Thanks for all the pics and info.

I spent most of the afternoon yesterday trying to get the carb bank separated from the engine, I could not break them free and I'm afraid of causing damage.

I spoke to the owner of the local motorcycle repair shop and they are going to pick up the bike on Tuesday. 

It is hard to separate, you have to rock them back and forth with some force.  Eventually they will come loose.