CBR1100XX.org Forum

Double-pane window condensation (inside surface).

Zero Knievel

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

Carbon Dioxide will suffocate you. Carbon Monoxide will poison you.

@Biometrix doesn't seem to have concerns, so maybe it isn't a thing to worry about with LP.

Well I wouldn't say that but he was asking about condensation not killing himself and his family with unvented gas heaters. I run an LP heater in my woodshop but I make sure to have decent ventilation through other means, like opening a window and having a fan running. I think that most of the unvented gas heaters warn not to run them continuously. I would never run an unvented gas heater in my house. Seems like a good way of rolling the dice on whether you'll wake up in the morning.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Really?  I've never seen one, and google doesn't find any.

I realize it was a typo on the part of Zero. However there are CO2 detectors. I can get you the brand once I'm back to work. Were using them in schools (yes for covid!) because CO2 is an indicator gas* of how much fresh air there is in the space. They're about the size of an iphone 3gs and twice as thick, wait... as a pack of american cigarettes. 

*I'm sure there's another term for this, but it refers to indoor air quality. 

I should also mention that my work is using them in old as fuck schools with little to no mechanical ventilation. Depending on PPM levels: it's either OK, Open window(s) and classroom door, leave space immediately. 

The sensors monitor continuously but the display only reads out a 5 minute average. This is to prevent any fuckery by a bunch of kids blowing on it to get out of class. They are all iot devices, but I don't know enough about the network side of them if it's inter or intra net, I do know there is a bridge connected with a cable to the network switch to bring the info to,  I presume,  our building automation foreman. The school principals get a weekly summary. 

On 1/10/2022 at 5:31 AM, Zero Knievel said:

none are designed for the total square footage

Any size unit will help.

What exactly about the condensation worries you?

On 1/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, XXitanium said:

Yeah, slave devices with a master board they hook into. 

They don't ship as a consumer unit. You would need a control panel and an alarm horn and programming for additional money.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/wr/mm6608a9.htm

I don't really see the need for a CO2 monitoring device for homes. But I guess there's a market for any gadget. 

As for CO monitoring there are several consumer units Kidde makes most of them, I've got 2 that plug into a regular outlet in my home, they are as loud as a smoke detector. One of my hard wired smoke detectors is actually smoke and CO now that I think of it. 

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Any size unit will help.

What exactly about the condensation worries you?

1.  Concern that insulation of windows was failing.

2.  Mold from water running into stuff.  I had to clean some window frames already because I didn't notice how long it's gone on (my bedroom windows are covered all the time).

Not yet.  I proposed trying it on the worst windows and see how we like it.  Knowing mom, she'll make the decision too late for this winter.  I'm still of the opinion that could be the overall easiest solution...especially if the material is reusable.