CBR1100XX.org Forum

I need a cheap basic Mac

For someone who can't really afford to replace his very aged iMac.  He has basic needs for web and email, some photos, but they are coming from an old iPhone so nothing major, no video.  I'll be paying for it and setting it up for him.  Not looking to steal something but if you have a few years old Mac Mini in a closet for a few hundred...I'm your man.

I have a MacBook Air that has been sitting in my closet for 5 years and it's most likely 11 years old.  Prolly a Gen 1 or 2.  

Apple was giving me like $100 on trade and it just wasn't worth the shipping.  Plus, I have no idea where the magnetic charging cord would be.

Only reason I don't just toss it in the trash is I can't get it going to wipe it clean. You...I'd trust to wipe it before giving it to someone.

I'm sure you don't want it but thought I'd mention it. 

Thanks, but unfortunately that puts him in the same place he's now, about 10-12 year old machine and likely not able of much more.  If you want to ship it to me to be wiped, I'm happy to do it.  If it won't power up (big chance of that) the drive can be removed. Oscar lives with a guy who shreds drives, you could run it by him.

39 minutes ago, DBLXX said:

I have a MacBook Air that has been sitting in my closet for 5 years and it's most likely 11 years old.  Prolly a Gen 1 or 2.  

Apple was giving me like $100 on trade and it just wasn't worth the shipping.  Plus, I have no idea where the magnetic charging cord would be.

Only reason I don't just toss it in the trash is I can't get it going to wipe it clean. You...I'd trust to wipe it before giving it to someone.

I'm sure you don't want it but thought I'd mention it. 

If that falls through my roomie would likely take it.  He does certified data destruction.  If he can't power it up to wipe it, he'll pull the drive and shred it.  

I had that thought too.  A couple rounds through the drive is going to make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to retrieve data.  A couple pounds of tannerite should finish it off nicely.

If he sent it to me and we couldn't power it to wipe it I was going to inquire about giving it some lead therapy.

• Upvote 1