CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yo yo, wassup my healthy bowels peeps.

I don't know how I missed this whole section of the org for so long but here we are, lets talk fiber.

In some very light research recently I've gathered that the average North American does not intake adequate level of fiber daily and I feel that describes me too. Fiber seems to be beneficial to health in many ways besides bowel health. Looking to up and loosely track/oversee my daily amount. Ultimate goal is to have no wiper shits. Well, increased overall Heath too. This seemed to be a decent general article on fiber from a decent source https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/

Personally, I've been trying to increase my veggie intake daily by including a cup of frozen mixed veggies to my workday lunchbox. I've also been aiming to have steel cut oatmeal for breakfast 3-4 times a week (have to define and rope in my serving size as a big bowl will have me running to the shitter) .  For about the last year, my evening snack has been a cup of frozen blueberries with a bit of yoghurt or milk.  I don't eat much bread or rice but we always get brown or wheat. Actually we would go for whole wheat options anytime there is an option. 

Hows your fiber situation? Have you ever made significant fiber changes? Noticeable health benefits/changes after making fiber changes? Do you have a daily fiber goal? What is it?  Do you have a fibre go to? Do you have a fibre supplement? Do you have a secret weapon for fiber? What's the toilet paper look like when you wipe? How often do you have to wipe?  Where do you take your fiber info from? You get the gist, let's talk fiber.

Edited by Nova Scotia Mike

Those Metamucil things look like a healthier (than average) snack alternative. 5 grams of fibre per. Gonna keep my eyes out for them or similar the next time we go to Costco.

That above Harvard article says people should get at least 20-30 grams of fibre a day. I don't have any idea how many grams I typically get in, I'm guessing closer to 15.

3 hours ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

Yo yo, wassup my healthy bowels peeps.

I don't know how I missed this whole section of the org for so long but here we are, lets talk fiber.

In some very light research recently I've gathered that the average North American does not intake adequate level of fiber daily and I feel that describes me too. Fiber seems to be beneficial to health in many ways besides bowel health. Looking to up and loosely track/oversee my daily amount. Ultimate goal is to have no wiper shits. Well, increased overall Heath too. This seemed to be a decent general article on fiber from a decent source https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/

Personally, I've been trying to increase my veggie intake daily by including a cup of frozen mixed veggies to my workday lunchbox. I've also been aiming to have steel cut oatmeal for breakfast 3-4 times a week (have to define and rope in my serving size as a big bowl will have me running to the shitter) .  For about the last year, my evening snack has been a cup of frozen blueberries with a bit of yoghurt or milk.  I don't eat much bread or rice but we always get brown or wheat. Actually we would go for whole wheat options anytime there is an option. 

Hows your fiber situation? Have you ever made significant fiber changes? Noticeable health benefits/changes after making fiber changes? Do you have a daily fiber goal? What is it?  Do you have a fibre go to? Do you have a fibre supplement? Do you have a secret weapon for fiber? What's the toilet paper look like when you wipe? How often do you have to wipe?  Where do you take your fiber info from? You get the gist, let's talk fiber.

Interesting question

How often do you have to wipe?

is 27 a good or bad number?    :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

In some very light research recently I've gathered that the average North American does not intake adequate level of fiber daily

Absolutely true.  We eat way more protein than needed/good, way less fiber, way more sodium.  I believe the statistic is that over 90% of people are fiber-deficient.  I counted my intake for a bit, but it is super easy to get plenty of fiber if you stop eating the normal junk American diet.  A typical hand-sized avocado (size marked "large" in most stores, which is a lie) contains over 10 grams.  That's close to a third of the RDA.  I eat at least five of them per week.  I have at least six cans of beans per week, but usually more like ten.  One can is about the recommended daily amount.  Done.  A typical easy lunch for me is two flax seed and whole wheat tortillas with 1/3 can of beans each, half avocado each, and some sauce or chiles.  I'm at the RDA in one meal.  When I was counting I was always hitting well over 50g/day, and the RDA for someone in my size/weight range is around 35.

Dave's fiber supplement is a reasonable thing, but also needs to be weighed against two things.  It only has 10% of the RDA, and it has 100 calories that are mostly from sugar.  It's convenient, but far from ideal on a purely nutritional scale.  Moriah found some that are slightly better, be using monk fruit as a sweetener which has a very low glycemic index and total carb count.  They are also more decadent, with a creamy Nutella-like filling.  In any case, I would consider all of these processed options as convenience, and just a crutch for not eating well to begin with.  I travel with some, and some bars, for the necessary convenience when I can't eat as well.

D59225D4-2688-4B3F-9D54-EA37225B09FA_1_102_o.jpeg

There is pretty good evidence that natural, unprocessed fiber sources are more useful to the body than processed sources.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

I have at least six cans of beans per week, but usually more like ten.  One can is about the recommended daily amount.  Done.  A typical easy lunch for me is two flax seed and whole wheat tortillas with 1/3 can of beans each, half avocado each, and some sauce or chiles.  

There is pretty good evidence that natural, unprocessed fiber sources are more useful to the body than processed sources.

We don’t seem to eat much of anything that comes in cans. I’m taking it you are not talking about the kinds of canned beans I’d be thinking about; beans in tomato sauce or beans with pork. What kinds of canned beans are you rocking? My wife does buy canned black/kidney beans for making chili. And the odd can of  chick peas for making quesadillas…

Beans are the magical fruit …

Edited by Nova Scotia Mike
Fat thumbs

I eat both plain canned beans and beans I make myself.  I expressed it in measurements of number of cans because it varies, and because "can of beans" is a logical measure everyone gets.  I buy no-salt pure beans or the ultra low sodium variety.  Most canned products are super salty, and the chili and other pre-seasoned beans are ludicrous.  Some cans have over the RDA of sodium for a single can.  Even the typical "low" sodium cans are excessive.  The Safeway "O Organics" and Whole Foods 365 brands are super low, under 400g per can.  Your typical name brand can is over 1500g!

F5CF6195-FC26-4B8F-B28F-D816A96AC2C1_1_102_o.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

And the odd can of  chick peas for making quesadillas…

Wait wut???  Chickpeas = hummus, how is this related to a quesadilla?  Also, do you know the difference between a garbanzo and a chickpea?

Hummus, when made without oil, is real food and packed full of fiber.  But if you're not careful, one can has nearly the target amount of sodium for the day.

Another super fast real food meal...  Can of unsalted black beans, and a can of unsalted corn or equivalent in frozen corn.  Microwave, top with sauce, eat.  Most sauces have quite a bit of salt, but potassium chloride is my go-to salt without sodium as needed.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Wait wut???  Chickpeas = hummus, how is this related to a quesadilla?  Also, do you know the difference between a garbanzo and a chickpea?

Hummus, when made without oil, is real food and packed full of fiber.  But if you're not careful, one can has nearly the target amount of sodium for the day.

Another super fast real food meal...  Can of unsalted black beans, and a can of unsalted corn or equivalent in frozen corn.  Microwave, top with sauce, eat.  Most sauces have quite a bit of salt, but potassium chloride is my go-to salt without sodium as needed.

The quesadillas admittedly are likely sacrilege. I checked with my wife and she is making some healthy version of them she got out of a cookbook we have called LooneySpoons.  This looks to be the recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/chicken-case-a-dee-ahhs-1267629

Yield
24 Wedges

Ingredients

• 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed & mashed
    • 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
    • 1/2 cup salsa
    • 1 large clove garlic, minced
    • 8 - 7" flour tortillas
    • 2 teaspoons vegtable oil
    • 1 chicken breast half, cooked & shredded
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
    • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
    • 1 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro/coriander
    • 1 cup shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack Cheese

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine mashed chickpeas, 2 TBSP Sour Cream, 2 TBSP Salsa & garlic in a small bowl. Mix Well & set aside. Brush one side of each tortilla with oil. Arrange 4 tortilla's, oil side down, on a baking sheet. Spread 1/4 chickpea mixture over each tortilla, leaveing a 1/2" border. Combine shredded chicken, red pepper, green onions, & cilantra in a small bowl. Spread 1/4 chicken mixture over the chickpeas, followed by 1/4 cheese. Cover remaining tortillas, oil side up. Bake for 8-10mn, until tortillas are a light golden brown, remove from oven, Let cool 5 mn before cutting. Cut each quesadilla into 6 wedges. Serve with remaining sour cream & salsa. Variations: you can leave out the cilantra. You can roll them to make an enchilada type dish as well. You can leave the oil out as well if you need to.

I would have guessed garbanzo and chickpea were the same bean.

Will try the bean, corn and sauce wrap. Thanks. I'm guessing there will be Farts.

Salt intake is a whole other thread, one thing at a time for me.

19 minutes ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

I would have guessed garbanzo and chickpea were the same

Nope, I've never paid twenty bucks to have a garbanzo on my face.

That recipe reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke.  It's basically a normal junk food chicken quesadilla, but some beans added.  

quote-that-would-be-cool-if-you-could-ea

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Start your day off with one of these:

https://greatist.com/eat/honeycrisp-apple-nutrition#cooking-versatility

One a day, and well, you know the rest.

Too big to fit in an apple slicer, so you get to practice your knifery first thing in the morning.