CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sena S 20 Evo Speaker Upgrade

RXX

OK, so everybody wants to fuck their ears up by placing bigger, more powerful speakers as close to their ear canals as possible. Even I am not immune to that desire.

So on my 2020 motorcycle trip I had to upgrade my lost-in-the-wind SMH10 unit with a S 20 Evo in Oklahoma City.

In August of 2021 I replaced the stock units with some Cardo JBL speakers.

Sena has a new, bigger speaker set also, but I went with the Cardo. Big mistake. The Cardo is attached to the S 20 by a standard audio plug. (3.5 mm I think) on the bottom, anterior portion of the unit. The Sena has what I guess is a proprietary plug buried under a cover that has to be unscrewed. I did not think much about the difference at the time, but here is the crux of the biscuit:

The plug, on the outside of the unit, and facing forward, catches on the collar of my jacket. I think the constant flexing caused an interruption of the integrity of the left speaker lead. Of course, it could easily be a manufacturer’s defect, I am not an engineer.  It made my unit practically useless on my trip.

So I will probably get a Sena upgrade as soon as Santa gets here. I am interested in getting on of those little helmet-based amplifiers before I head out next summer. If I can still hear when I die, those decibels will have been wasted.

I know I considered upgraded speakers…at the time, there wasn’t much in the line of options unless you were able to fabricate your own, better speakers into the OEM wire harness.  I’ve relied on relatively inexpensive earbuds and the outside port for long rides, but you’re right…it would be an issue if I kept catching it on something.