CBR1100XX.org Forum

12 ga hulls?

I used to have garbage bags of these things. Just threw them away after reloading\shooting them. It was a different world back then. Anyway, I still have bags of 20 ga once fired hulls that I don't really reload anymore. Mostly Remington. Anyone out there have any 12 ga hulls they want to get rid of? Possible trade for some 20 ga?

I recently got rid of a bunch of cheapo 12ga. hulls after getting a bunch of AA's.  If you don't care about them being 'premium' hulls any trap & skeet range is covered in them, some people also leave the premium stuff.  The cheapos are generally referred to as 'non-reloadable', but they all reload.

I believe 20ga. are more valuable than 12 so you should be able to trade or sell them pretty easily.

I've been reloading shotgun shells for as long as I can remember. Never gave a rats ass as to what hull I was using. All my 12 ga are loaded to 1oz and are strictly for pounding clay pigeons out in the corn field with a bunch of friends. Im ashamed to say this, but I've literally had lead shot falling out of the crimp. I've mixed green and red dot together. I've mixed shot size together. Hulls, primers.. Whatever. Never ever had a failure in 30 years. On the flip side, when I reload rifle and pistol rounds, I adhere to strict guidelines. There's no fucking around. 

Anyway.. I'll take whatever. Never been a 12ga hull i couldn't reload

7 hours ago, SR71BLACKBIRDXX said:

I've mixed green and red dot together. I've mixed shot size together. Hulls, primers.. Whatever. Never ever had a failure in 30 years. On the flip side, when I reload rifle and pistol rounds, I adhere to strict guidelines. There's no fucking around. 

That's the opposite of my feeling as well as many others', but I've only done a little bit of shotgun loading.  There's plenty of fuck around room in metallic reloading and lots of us do it.  Mixing some powders seems like it should be safe with hulls and metallic reloading but 'everyone' says not to.  I can't imagine a situation where I ever would.  Red and Greed Dot have very different characteristics, I like Green more.  Substituting primer brands does nearly nothing in pistol and rifle but can be a problem with shotgun, not an instant kaboom, but they can fall out.  Mixing shot size should be safe within limits.  With a few exceptions, mixing brass has no impact on safety.  The capacity of some hulls is quite different than others and the pressures can vary wildly if they're used willy-nilly with the same other components, but probably not dangerous if your your loads are mid range.

1 hour ago, SR71BLACKBIRDXX said:

Not so sure I would agree with that. Certain low pressure cartridges maybe. 45-70 comes to mind

Lots of people successfully experiment.  For example, I made some 30-30 loads using a 9mm Luger powder charge and the velocity matched the expectation.  It's of no particular use for me, but it is for some people.  It was just fun to do.

I didn't have any .308 Norma Magnum brass so when the gun showed up so I made some from my .338WinMag brass that I have lots of.  It's likely impossible to find a book load for that, but it seems to shoot just like the book loads I use while ignoring the brass portion of the recipes.

I've substituted bullet types many times with no noticeable changes in velocity or pressure.  A 30-30 hollow point bullet at .308NM velocity vaporizes watermelons.  Some bullet types can make a big difference and could be a problem.

I've interchanged rifle and pistol primers as well as magnum and standard primers just to test with no noticeable issues.  There's potential for light strikes and primer blowouts, I didn't have any issues, but I'd only make batches of stuff like that if I were in dire need.