CBR1100XX.org Forum

Whole food plant based cheeses

SwampNut

We've tried two of their soft cheese varieties and loved them.  The French style and goat style varieties with herbs and garlic, on multi-grain flatbreads to make sort of pizzas.  I'm ordering a big variety pack.  Cut the dairy, real nutrition.

https://www.treelinecheese.com/collections/catalog-page

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2021 at 4:39 PM, SwampNut said:

We've tried two of their soft cheese varieties and loved them.  The French style and goat style varieties with herbs and garlic, on multi-grain flatbreads to make sort of pizzas.  I'm ordering a big variety pack.  Cut the dairy, real nutrition.

https://www.treelinecheese.com/collections/catalog-page

How do they get away calling their product cheese?

Cheese is a dairy product, derived from milk and produced in wide ranges of flavors, textures and forms by coagulation of the milk protein casein. It comprises proteins and fat from milk, usually the milk of cows, buffalo, goats, or sheep. 

• Upvote 1

Give it a try.  At least the two we tried are indistinguishable from goat and cow cheese.  They were two of the soft varieties, goat and French chive or something like that.

5 hours ago, azxr said:

How do they get away calling their product cheese?

Well, we have almond and coconut milk, so probably the same way.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now to sample.  The chipotle-serrano is not hot at all, just a hint of it.  Good but soft cheesy flavor and fantastic creaminess on all of the French style options.  Haven't tried the sliced or shreds yet.  The cracker is a matzo made from potato and tapioca, very little salt and oil.  Delicious, and taste like a Pringle's without all the salt and oil covering up the flavor.

4C2FD9BD-F44C-4514-AE5E-BF6794B1191C_1_201_a.jpeg

On 11/21/2021 at 11:03 AM, SwampNut said:

Well, we have almond and coconut milk, so probably the same way.

Neither of them tastes like a real milk. Same with fake cheese.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:46 AM, tomek said:

Neither of them tastes like a real milk. Same with fake cheese.

True, but it prevents evil white farmers from exploiting animals.

• 3 months later...

Kite Hill is the real stand-out in the fake cheese industry.  It just works.  And it's actual whole food, not a bunch of oil pretending to be cheese.  Here's a funny thing that happened with their goat cheese...I accidentally bought it when making a meal for a group where one person viciously HATES goat cheese.  He took one bite and spit it out.  "FUCKING GOAT CHEESE!"  Ok, so it was realistic both to those of us who like it, and those who don't.

Today I had their cream cheese.  It's slightly lighter than Philly, but totally believable too.  It wasn't as great as a high end cream cheese, but not a real loss either.  Much like the goat cheese, I'm pretty sure if someone had it unknowingly they would not guess its fake.

The cream cheese from Simple Truth is fucking garbage.  Nothing about it says cream cheese.  If I didn't tell you it was pretending to be that, you'd never guess it.  And it's also full of junk ingredients.

We bought some "brie" from Vegan Cheese Shop.  Meh.  You know it's not brie.  It's not bad, and I'd buy it more as its own thing, but it's just way too expensive.

Much like the plant milks, they can be their own thing and fulfill a role without tasting identical.  Nothing wrong with that.  I personally hate cow milk and always have, but I am fine with the fakes.  So a net win for me.  And coconut based "heavy cream" is actually much nicer in many ways than cow.