CBR1100XX.org Forum

Factory ecm and full exhaust with K&n

rockertom

I have had a wideband O2 sensor on 2 99 black birds. One completely stock and 1 highly modified with aftermarket exhaust. They both ran generally rich especially in the upper mid range. I have very few positive numbers on the dynojet map. Some people say a k&n filter and aftermarket exhaust can cause problems without a power Commander. If you just have slip-on or stock exhaust and a stock air filter I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. If you should decide to sell your PC 3 I would be very interested.

I just noticed the title to your thread. With a k&n and full exhaust system I don't think you'll be dangerously lean anywhere. Some people complain of low speed drivability problems with your combination.

I had it custom mapped when I first got it. But since then have added Delkivic header to the Yoshi slip on’s. That were on the bike when I got it. Changed the FPR to a higher one. Forget the P/N now as Honda discontinued the original. Added the K&N. Runs best right now on my map. Tried a few others from Dynojets web site. Just it’s falling on its face at 150. Want it to climb where it’s supposed to.

Take a look at your PC map. If you have large positive numbers above 5 or 6,000 RPM and above 80% throttle I would just about guarantee or running too rich at high speeds especially with the 50 lb regulator.

That map is not drastically different from what I'm using in the upper ranges but I'm using a 43-pound regulator. you might want to try just loading a zero map and see how it runs. I don't think you can hurt anything. Be sure and backup your present map preferably in two different places. The voice of sad experience.

I had a K&N and Yosh full system on my '01 with no tuning and didn't detect anything wrong, and it pulled noticeably harder than with the stock exhaust from about 5K up.

Do you have a photo of your header?  I pulled the header off Cecome's bike (previously it was on another member's super farkled whitebird, CBRbear maybe?)  It was supposedly an early model Delkevic and that POS was killing his power.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, superhawk996 said:

I had a K&N and Yosh full system on my '01 with no tuning and didn't detect anything wrong, and it pulled noticeably harder than with the stock exhaust from about 5K up.

Do you have a photo of your header?  I pulled the header off Cecome's bike (previously it was on another member's super farkled whitebird, CBRbear maybe?)  It was supposedly an early model Delkevic and that POS was killing his power.

Just bought the Delkevic not too long ago. As there weren’t many options out there. Got a date in early Dec to get it remapped. See how it does. This was in pieces as I was putting it together.

5EB0436D-B510-412C-AB6C-9D3B47B06105.jpeg

3 hours ago, rockertom said:

Just bought the Delkevic not too long ago. As there weren’t many options out there. Got a date in early Dec to get it remapped. See how it does. This was in pieces as I was putting it together.

It doesn't look nearly as bad as the one I took off, but it doesn't inspire any confidence.  Hard to say without seeing the inside of the collector and Y, but if I had to bet I'd put my money on a stocker making more average power over the curve, maybe everywhere.  If you know of any independent dyno comparisons that would be really interesting to see.

If that Y could be cleanly grafted onto a stock header it would probably wake it up a bit, the stocker looks like a bit of a choke point.  Removing the screens in the stock header would probably also help some.

37 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I did that but I can't really tell you for sure if it did anything or not.

From recollection there's some in the collectors and more in the Y section, did you pull them all?  I cut a spare header apart years ago for modding and never got back around to it.

21 hours ago, rockertom said:

It looks like 4 in 1 system unless there is internal divider in that vertical piece. The fact it splits into 2 again is irrelevant. 

Anyhow, if it is 4 into 1 it is gonna suck, good top end but hole right below it. Good header for XX should be 4 into 2 into 1, like stocker and anything aftermarket from reputable makers like, Yosh, etc.

Also, in that collector, if you look inside, do those 4 primary pipes end abruptly, or they are blended in? They should end abruptly. XX has relatively mild cams so design relies on acoustic waves.

It depends, in more hardcore engine everything is smooth and very "aerodynamic". 

• 3 weeks later...

We’ll just got back from a Dyno tune. Went from 132 to 145. With 47,500 on the clock. Am happy with that. Said it was still making power at 11k on the 3,4,5 pull. Take it out tomorrow for a good run. Was happy with how it felt coming home.  It really didn’t get it over 7k.

348DF450-A02A-4A74-A0AA-2AD65D47B74B.jpeg

7DD6A8F7-5DAB-4AFA-9A23-EFEFC3AC5990.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1