CBR1100XX.org Forum

What is the lethal dose of plantains and garlic?

SwampNut

Plantains are a pretty good and useful fruit, and you can use them green or ripe in different ways.  They are common in Cuban meals.  On Saturday morning, my extremely white neighbor came over with a shitload of veggies she picked up at some place that basically gives away overstock produce.  She wanted to know if I had any idea what to do with the very strange bananas.  "They taste horrible in a smoothie!"  LOL

So anyway, I've had about 15 so far and got four more in the air fryer.  They caramelize nicely, then are dipped in mojo criollo--bitter orange, garlic, optional onion, and cumin.  Fucking delicious.  Real food, if a bit starchy, but with a low glycemic index.

I wonder how many I can eat before they go bad?  I'll slice a bunch in the mandolin this afternoon, then put some in the dehydrator, and some in the smoker.  You can't buy banana/plantain chips commercially without sugar, oil, and salt.  Fucking retarded.  Something so delicious on its own and they have to add shit?

8FCD8E0B-6160-4939-A875-8B3FC5DA6B48_1_105_c.jpeg

AB8255CE-3683-4295-9AC5-202F2DB3D036_1_105_c.jpeg

OH DROOL!

I once had a roommate (from France FWIW) who ate a plantain I was ripening. When I asked if he ate it he said "yes, it was fucking horrible, he could barely eat the whole thing!" He compared it to eating a raw potato. I don't know how he managed to finish it or not get sick, BLEECH!

PS MOFONGO! 

Still working on finding out.  Also I've always been a traditionalist with them, but today I decided to try some really high end gochujang, and it's fucking great.

Does it make me a crackhead that I take an occasional sip of the mojo because not enough sticks to the plantains?

2ADAA3B7-490B-4961-8EFD-1E8A87CBB6B2_1_105_c.jpeg