CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clear Alternatives light bulbs

blackhawkxx

I have the Clear Alternatives front turn signal lenses and I'm looking for replacement bulbs.  The bulb is marked 1157 and have dual pins which is common but I'm having a hard time finding the silver outside with the amber color when on.  Anyone have a source for these bulbs? 

6 hours ago, FiXXation said:

Google 'chrome 1157'.  But, to me they were too dim.  For a classic analog bulb, I prefer the Sylvania 1157A SilverStars.  They appear a little bluish when they are off , but bright amber when on.

That was my problem, I was searching silver instead of chrome, thanks.

5 hours ago, tomek said:

Was it suppose to be matte, flat finish or operator error? 

All of the above, but the guy fucked up and it came out shiny and perfect in most areas.

No, seriously, it looks like a whitish pearl with semi gloss finish. 

It does not look bad, is just the gloss from clear coat is not there. So, was it intended or clear sinked into top coat( color), and reduced the gloss.

Edited by tomek

2 hours ago, tomek said:

No, seriously, it looks like a whitish pearl with semi gloss finish. 

It does not look bad, is just the gloss from clear coat is not there. So, was it intended or clear sinked into top coat( color), and reduced the gloss.

I hadn't thought of it before, but yea, I kinda see that now, even in my 3D memory of it.

It's metallic and pearl.  I think one or the other, or maybe the combination, makes it not reflect shine the same way that a normal white would.  I've looked at Lambos factory painted in this color and altho I never got to put the bike next to one to compare in detail, I don't recall seeing an obvious difference.  The closest I had was riding next to one briefly.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

I hadn't thought of it before, but yea, I kinda see that now, even in my 3D memory of it.

It's metallic and pearl.  I think one or the other, or maybe the combination, makes it not reflect shine the same way that a normal white would.  I've looked at Lambos factory painted in this color and altho I never got to put the bike next to one to compare in detail, I don't recall seeing an obvious difference.  The closest I had was riding next to one briefly.

I'm just an idiot who strongly suggests you use acetone vs. anything else for bare surface prep before primer, but that's not the issue there.

If you mix different brands of base coat( color) and clearcoat sometimes they car react with each other and reduce gloss. You never know unless you try it, AND wait year or two. They can leak into each other for months.

It looks OK to untrained eye, but Professional like myself will easily notice it. Lol.

Urethane finishes from different brands have similar chemical components, but not exactly the same. 

Or, perhaps coats were sprayed too quickly without sufficient spray times, or wrong reducer for temperature, etc. 

You didn't spend enough time with a polisher.  Even though I bought paint to touch it up and repaint the mirrors which were really matte, some time with 12k paper and some polish on a pad fixed everything other than the cracks.  I ended up not using the (retarded expensive) three-layer paint supplies.

74884E99-55F9-4A88-BF6A-D1EE8A097F07_1_105_c.jpeg

A8716EA2-F489-4A53-B1F4-DECA7AC95603_1_105_c.jpeg

B497DED9-3125-4F1C-B50A-69628F8AC9F3_1_105_c.jpeg

PPG Omni, really? LOL.

That is products used in bottom feeder body shops, and 20/20 paint jobs. 20/20 paint job, the object is not cleaned than 20 ft, and moving at least 20 mph.

Even days with polisher won't fix not so great gloss. Not all clears are created equal. Some are clearer and look way better. It is reta,,, I mean not very wise to save couple bucks on clear coat. Because all those hrs spend on surface preparation will be "wasted" by cheap clear.

Should have used ppg dcu 2021 or similar products in ppg line.

I've used dcu2021, and it is as beautiful clear as anything made by House of Kolor. DCU clears are significantly more expensive vs. OMNI, but they are top quality products.

Price comparison, please keep I mind dcu requires expensive hardener as well.

Screenshot_20211031-134851_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211031-134345_Chrome.jpg

Edited by tomek