CBR1100XX.org Forum

OMG, they are going to PAY ME to eat avocados?

SwampNut

Avocados are so flexible.  You can treat them as the fruit that they are, like in a smoothie, or like a veggie/savory grease in Mexican and Asian stuff.  I also use them to make non-oil whole food dressings.  Avocado, garlic, spices, lime juice, blend.  Add water as needed.  Avo-garlic dressing over greens and more avocados.  And obviously, if you're willing to risk becoming a liberal, there's avocado toast.  On Dave's Killer Bread it's not just delicious, but real food.  If you like the Mexican "crema" type sauces, you can use avocado instead of the cow cream.

You can make a great salad/salad topping with avocado, cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and hot chiles of your choice.  This is good by itself and keeps for a while, or top greens with it.  (Don't put it on the leafy stuff until ready to eat, they will get soggy, but the basic recipe keeps well for a few days in a cooler so it's a camping favorite).  

• Upvote 1

Yeah, no question.  I'm even more excited about their A versus B avocados.  Like...what will be different?  I have to eat from different groups over a span of a week.  And they are paying me 68 avocado's worth of dollars to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

In Mexico the cartels call them "Green Gold", and have been biting into the billion dollar industry.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/investigations/2021/08/18/mexican-drug-cartels-mexico-avocado-farmers-farming-industry/7878297002/

This is the LA Times article I read a couple years ago, which detailed how prolific the problem is for growers.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-11-20/mexico-cartel-violence-avocados

I think we had a bit of that conversation here before?  I suppose that owning any market is good, whether legal or not.  Illegal just makes it that much more profitable.  I have no idea what anyone can do about it, just stop buying avocados?

image.png

They are studying something to do with avocados that last far longer than normal.  "Five days extra" has come up.  Day 1 test...way unripe.  And Fedex even fucked up and got them here a day late.  They would have been really bad yesterday.

The study is done, after three rounds of the A/B group avocados.  I have four left to "dispose" of.  None arrived ready to eat per my standards, although they claimed they were ripe and even had a label saying so.  Do people really like their avocados kind of hard?  I don't want them super mushy, but they should be at the point where you could mash them with a fork into guacamole (or just to spread on toast, because I'm a hipster millennial liberal).  The B group today was still slightly too hard.  A group was perfect.  I think the B is the "lasts an extra five days" group.  The B is also far less flavorful.  If I'm right, this experiment is a total failure.  Every B avocado has been less tasty than the A group.  Though one A fruit had a black spot inside, probably from bruising, and just a small one.