CBR1100XX.org Forum

What is healthy for breakfast?

TOXXIC

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Another option is overnight oats where you just let them sit in the liquid.  I haven't done it, lots of people love this method.

Good to know.

Not sure if we even own a pressure cooker. I am not much of a cook or chef at all. I can barely boil or burn water, but can burn meat on the grill.  I thought pressure cookers were just for bombing places in Boston? 😀

The overnight oats sounds more my speed. Thanks I will look into it.

Pressure cookers are bomb, yo.

The Instant Pot lets me sautee some onions and peppers, then drop broth and dry beans right in, pressure cook, then click over to crockpot mode, and have a stew/bean dinner in a single container with no mess.  And lots to fridge/freeze for later.  Also great for camping, I just take all my food pre-made.  I put them in disposable restaurant containers that are microwave safe.  

I make the oats sort of to the label with just water, and add oat milk after microwaving.  The microwave is tricky, but using the same amount every time and learning that three, 38-second doses are what it needs to keep from exploding is key.

Overnight oats sound like the bomb, but as I eschew planning ahead, I've never tried them.  Gave it some serious thought while camping, but evening festivities always occluded turning the thought into action.  Seems like the perfect answer for low-effort prep - some dried fruits, nuts, oatmeal, water, and don't stare at it too hard.

3 hours ago, IcePrick said:

38-second doses are what it needs to keep from exploding is key.

It's like you were there when the "explosion" happened. Holy Oat mess! LOL. I should have done the 3 doses rather than the steady nuke.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

It's like you were there when the "explosion" happened. Holy Oat mess! LOL. I should have done the 3 doses rather than the steady nuke.

Or just nuke at lower power.  When I make oats, 6 minutes at 60% power then two 2-minute sessions…stirring in between.

Speaking of oats, this isn't for breakfast but something I make for a snack.  I don't eat flour per say but like pizza so I use oats as the crust.

My little snack is 1/2 cup of oats and 1 egg white baked in a toaster oven.

1261200993_Pizza2.thumb.jpg.1da98fc8219351658e7d9d169da53f41.jpg

Then I add turkey bacon and turkey peperoni along with sauce and cheese.  It taste pretty good to me.

693647631_Pizza1.thumb.jpg.7aea473227d9fad3e9ccde9e6662cc7f.jpg 

Edit to add:

My wife just made a pumpkin pie using oats for the crust, yum.

Pie.thumb.jpg.c4ea8fb657eef52550234f254cb60c90.jpg

Edited by blackhawkxx
  • Upvote 2

My breakfast:

3-egg omelet with chopped red, yellow and orange bell peppers and onion. A decent sized slice of tomato on the side.

I have a coffee with French vanilla cream.

I've been having this same breakfast for years.

If I'm boiling something in the microwave I'm using these, no mess, and then I can eat at my desk or walking around using the handle.  Or close the vent, and take it in the car or on the bike to go.  They seal reliably.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sistema-Microwave-Collection-Noodle-1109ZS/dp/B009SD35IO/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=sistema&qid=1636390172&sr=8-11

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D6Y1OM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did you get gum with yours?

Reviewed in the United States on January 2, 2019

Size: 1 Count (Pack of 1)Color: RedVerified Purchase
So I just opened my package and noticed something that resembled a glue of some sort on the mug. As I start scraping it with my nail, I get a whiff of something minty- and then realize it’s gum. Gum that was in someone’s mouth and ended up on my mug. Now I’m NOT a “prissy” girl and don’t get skeeved easily (I have two little kids), but this did gross me out.
I know I could have simply washed it, but I ended up throwing it in the trash.

I typically do a breakfast shake consisting of a scoop of whey protein/ a teaspoon of raw oats/ about a half cup raw almonds, crushed walnuts or natural peanut butter/ whatever fruit or berries I have on hand, and water. On lifting days, a similar post-workout shake minus the oats. I know it doesnt sound appetizing, but after years of it, your body actually craves it. Whole foods in the morning now seem very heavy. Plus you can really get creative with them(unlimited varieties of fruits/berries, chuck in some ice for a good smoothy, etc.) 

I ate early last night so I woke up actually wanting breakfast.  I just had an avocado toast sandwich with Beyond Sausage, on Dave’s whole grain 21 seed bread.  I will probably end up blowing dudes behind the electric car charger at Whole Foods after this.

Neither Dave's nor Beyond are totally perfect whole foods, but both are really good.  This is a treat that I call 80% healthy, again on the pork rind scale where those are 0%.

Another occasional breakfast I forgot about is this, which is damn good:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/tattooed-chef-organic-acai-bowl-fruit-granola-frozen-4ct/prod23191549?xid=plp_product_1

0089976400183_A?$DT_Zoom$

12 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I ate early last night so I woke up actually wanting breakfast.  I just had an avocado toast sandwich with Beyond Sausage, on Dave’s whole grain 21 seed bread.  I will probably end up blowing dudes behind the electric car charger at Whole Foods after this.

Neither Dave's nor Beyond are totally perfect whole foods, but both are really good.  This is a treat that I call 80% healthy, again on the pork rind scale where those are 0%.

Another occasional breakfast I forgot about is this, which is damn good:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/tattooed-chef-organic-acai-bowl-fruit-granola-frozen-4ct/prod23191549?xid=plp_product_1

0089976400183_A?$DT_Zoom$

My wife eats those too, I have yet to try them.

2 minutes ago, DBLXX said:

Love Hummus.  Make it fresh often. 

Yup, a great whole food if you skip the oil.  Just add a bit more tahini.  My two favorites are roasted garlic, and chipotle.

You know the difference between a garbanzo and a chickpea?

My hummus method

Can of garbanzo beans (reserve aquafaba to put back in as needed)

2-ish tbsp lemon juice

2-ish tbsp tahini

Either 3 cloves fresh garlic, or 8 roasted

1 tbsp cumin

1 tbsp paprika, sweet or smoked

A few dashes of potassium chloride (No-Salt)

Blend, and add back in as much of the reserved water as needed to make it smooth and keep blending.  A lot of people use plain water, but re-using the aquafaba makes it far creamier.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DBLXX said:

Love Hummus.  Make it fresh often. 

Had it with just some Demi Perisian for breakfast, and used it as a dip for steamed broccoli, cauliflower, brussels and peppers for lunch. 

Pretty good I gotta say. 

BTW, I don't usually eat "sponge" bread but if I do, it is Demi Perisian.

16372673817553269586844124392433.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

8AA86F5A-E734-4CA1-8ECF-DD360F9411C2_1_102_a.jpeg

Half buckwheat and steel cut oats, dried tart cherries, dried cranberries, a bit of grade-B maple syrup, and vanilla almond milk for liquid.  Instant Pot for 8 minutes, natural release for 15.  A very tiny pinch of salt is pretty important for oats and other grains.

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

A very tiny pinch of salt is pretty important for oats and other grains.

Curious, why is this? I assumed for taste, but does it have something to do with breaking down the fibers and making it soft? I usually forget the pinch of salt. Mainly because my wife uses pink Himalayan salt from Trader Joe's in a grinder, which doesn't lend itself to "pinching". 🤒