CBR1100XX.org Forum

What is healthy for breakfast?

TOXXIC

Eggs good. My go to these days is overnight oats with your choice of liquid and filling. 

I add chia seeds and some other seeds my doctor said to eat. 

Veg omelette, cereal, home made granola, belvida wafers. For me - breakfast is purely to fuel up the motor to run until lunch. Breakfast is a stop over for me - not an exotic meal. I prefer not to eat as I’m not hungry until lunch but I’ve been told to fuel up even if minimal and boring. 

My "usual", as in a couple days a week, is multi-grain toast (or multi-grain tortilla) with either peanut butter and a banana or Marmite on it.  Or a handful of dried apricots, figs, dates, plums, and a handful of mixed nuts.  Sometimes a bowl of granola with dried blueberries and oat milk.

I might get back on my quest for the perfect breakfast oatmeal cookie.  Oats, banana for sweetener, nuts and/or nut butter, maybe dried blueberries. 

I love eggs - but for me, the call of the salt shaker is too strong with them on my plate.  I bet the onion and garlic powders help.

I don't eat "breakfast," or any specific meals really.  Sort of dinner a few time weeks so I can share it with Moriah.  That happens between 5pm and 8pm.  Otherwise, I eat something between 10:30 and 1pm-ish, and I eat something else later in the day when needed.  Part of getting away from a shitty standard diet is getting away from eating on a schedule.  I eat when necessary.  The people who have cut back to one meal a day are doing best, but that doesn't work for me.  Yet.  So two meals a day and on some days, a light snack like nuts or a whole food bar.  I almost never wake up hungry so nothing early in the day.  I'm curious whether other people do, and you therefore should eat, or it's just habit/tradition?

I eat dinner when my wife get's home....5'ish because she is hungry.  She has to eat lunch at 11:15.  I now have a sugar free Italian ice for snack after dinner and I almost always wake up hungry so I eat something.  Coffee helps too. 

13 minutes ago, DBLXX said:

I now have a sugar free Italian ice

Hmm, you make this or buy this?  Name?

I got up way too early today, so I'll probably be hungry by 10:30.  Depending on how the day is going, I may have avocado on Dave's 21-grain bread (which will make me hate Trump more of course), or I may have a full lunch.  Most likely a Leafside insta-meal.

Oh yeah, I should make a thread about those, as their fruit/grain bowls are a good breakfast.  Shit, now I'm hungry.

I'll be eating oats and groats with some dried fruit and a small amount of honey in about an hour, when the pressure cooker is done.  Real food, low effort.  Oats/groats can go with anything, including being savory.  So curry oats with coconut milk, or with some nutritional yeast and unflavored almond milk to make it kinda like risotto, etc.

This and the oats conversation made me want it.

• Upvote 1

Feel free to share more details about these oats.  I suffer from pretty sever diverticulitis and try to eat yogurt for the probiotics. However, I can find other sources of priobiotics, but the key is I need to up my fiber intake.

4 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

Feel free to share more details about these oats.  I suffer from pretty sever diverticulitis and try to eat yogurt for the probiotics. However, I can find other sources of priobiotics, but the key is I need to up my fiber intake.

Just eat a fiber cookie every morning and be done with it. Don’t complicate that. 

My doc said not to eat too many oats as “little things” are not great for my diverticulitis. Tomatoes with seeds, cucumber seeds….nuts = no good. 

10 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

Oat Milk? We have almond milk, never seen oat milk?

Oat milk is creamier than rice or almond, in my opinion.  I wonder which is more taxing on the environment.

My doctor tells me that probiotic yogurt is good, but not to eat it first thing - he says stomach acid is too strong and will kill the good little buggies, it's best to have it as a second course ~ 15-30 minutes after having something else.

Breakfast - cappuccino with extra expresso shot. Otherwise I would not be able to find my vehicle of choice for the day. Typically one more coffee at the my travel agent (dispatch) from coffee pot machine. Really awful but I need it.

And that is it till about 9-10am. I'm just like my mother, no breakfest. 

Typically I bring high end yogurt, about 3/4 pound of frozen berries, some grilled chicken/fish, spring mix salad with couple more veggies and sliced olives, etc. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a dressing.

I keep couple kinds of instant flakes and almond milk in the truck. 

I eat that thru the workday in no particular order/time period but salad typically will be last. 

Flakes.

20211021_151312.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DBLXX said:

Just eat a fiber cookie every morning and be done with it. Don’t complicate that.

Got a link to fiber cookies you like? In my 20s and 30s I used to head off to work with just coffee, usually skipping breakfast all together. Now, I take my meds in the morning and they advise not to take on an empty stomach.

5 minutes ago, TOXXIC said:

I eat the cranberry, golden oat, coconut, and blueberry.  These are excellent.  You WILL like them dipped in coffee.  

Simple, cheap, and will give you the gas you need.  AND....for me, the 4 hour fill up they claim.... totally true for me.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IcePrick said:

I wonder which is more taxing on the environment.

Almond, and it may even be more taxing than cow, depending on how you count it.  I really like the coconut based stuff, which is also great for cooking, and pretty kind to the environment.  Super creamy.  Moriah prefers the almond vanilla for cereal, which is obviously no good for cooking, so we have both around.  She also like soy silk, and gets the known benefits of soy that way too.

I like the Belvita and Metamucil cookies as a treat, or fill-in, but they should not be used as a substitute for real food for most people.  They are still highly processed, refined, and full of sugar.  100 calories just for the little Metamucil pack.  And there's a lot of evidence that unprocessed whole fiber is far more useful.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 9:16 AM, SwampNut said:

I'll be eating oats and groats with some dried fruit and a small amount of honey in about an hour, when the pressure cooker is done.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:18 AM, IcePrick said:

Sometimes a bowl of granola with dried blueberries and oat milk.

I might get back on my quest for the perfect breakfast oatmeal cookie.  Oats, banana for sweetener, nuts and/or nut butter, maybe dried blueberries. 

Couple questions for you fellas. I purchased steel cut oats and oat milk.  Curious how you prepare your steel cut oats or oats?  First try used 1/4 cup of oat and 1/2 cup of water in the microwave. I added a little oat milk after letting them set for 2 minutes, and I topped them with fresh blueberries.  Next try I attempted to use 1/4 cup of dry oats and a 1/2 cup of oat milk.

How do you cook your oats?

Thanks!

I use the pressure cooker.  An Instant Pot can change everything about how you cook and help with the healthy prep.  I have a three quart for small batches (oats, rice, coconut yogurt etc) and an eight quart for beans and stews.  Lots of stews and chile type options that are whole food.  I have no idea how to cook them otherwise, and microwave sounds like a no-go to me.  Another option is overnight oats where you just let them sit in the liquid.  I haven't done it, lots of people love this method.