CBR1100XX.org Forum

eBay - new requirement for selling

XXitanium

It may all be related to tax revenue. There's a push to compel online vendors to collect and report sales taxes/duties. At this time the prime movers are certain states in need of tax revenue believed to be under-reported (mostly by taxpayers, hence the individual identifiers; SSN, ITIN) and thus potentially subject to civil enforcement actions. However, there is also a persistent lobbying effort underway at the congressional level to promote the passage of legislation that would include a comprehensive internet taxation plan.

eBay is no longer a garage sale, it's at least 95% stores selling overpriced shit.  When they changed away from using Paypal for payments, it really opened my eyes to how much I was wasting in fees.  Since they now just direct deposit what's left after fees, it's obvious.  Used to be you'd get a monthly invoice for fees and it was sorta hidden that way.

7 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Nope, not for me.

I haven't sold in a while.  Are you still selling stuff and able to collect without giving your SS#?  I initially heard that it was just for sellers selling over XX amount because they'd be getting a 1099, but don't know.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I haven't sold in a while.  Are you still selling stuff and able to collect without giving your SS#?  I initially heard that it was just for sellers selling over XX amount because they'd be getting a 1099, but don't know.

Sorry, I just was saying that I wouldn't give my S.S. number to E-Bay

eBay has slowly been rolling out "managed payments" and replacing Paypal.  They started with the largest sellers first, and select others.  Eventually nobody will be able to sell there without using that.  I believe the reporting requirement is $600, so basically, most everyone would fall into it.  Aside from that, they can use the last four as a validation check in public databases to positively identify you.  They are now disbursing funds basically immediately and they use this as part of their risk management.

eBay is one of the rarely long-time sites that has never had a data breach.  I did consulting work for Pierre Omidyar in the 90s or maybe 2000 and they took a security-first approach then.  They are likely safer than other places you give this info to.

Also, you gave this to Paypal already.

• 11 months later...

We just had another thread about eBay scams, and we've had many in the past.  How do you think you stop them?  You make sure you identify every seller.  You want a garage sale and to totally hide it?  Craigslist.