CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front fork settings

Tom

23 hours ago, tomek said:

Screenshot_20211005-142844_Chrome.jpg

Yes, that's how I measured my sag, and looks like I have some of the "good" forks.

The air-gap size vs. sag thing could be measured, if stiction was completely eliminated.  Of course, that is not practical.  Even then, it would probably be less than a millimeter, but physics dictates that there would be a difference (everything else being equal).  A practical difference?  No.

Edited by jon haney

Fork is not air tight like a tire. The air will leak out thru seals on legs and tops, and adjusters on top if equipped.

So it does not matter. 

On 10/6/2021 at 1:04 PM, tomek said:

Fork is not air tight like a tire. The air will leak out thru seals on legs and tops, and adjusters on top if equipped.

So it does not matter. 

How does the air travel down through the oil then separate from the oil to get out through the seal?

1 minute ago, superhawk996 said:

How does the air travel down through the oil then separate from the oil to get out through the seal?

You've made retarded statement and now spin, muddy the water,etc.

What else is new. 

8 hours ago, tomek said:

You've made retarded statement and now spin, muddy the water,etc.

What else is new. 

Just a simple question since you said air will escape through the seal.  So how does it?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Just a simple question since you said air will escape through the seal.  So how does it?

Have you ever seen fork seal and slider in 3D? Apparently not. Have you ever taken cartridge forks completely apart? Apparently not. Etc.

Has any male in Alvarez family has ever admitted of being wrong on anything? I don't think so. 

6905d060fc440daa3c29aa46c8f1e122.jpg

1 minute ago, tomek said:

Have you ever seen fork seal and slider in 3D? Apparently not. Have you ever taken cartridge forks completely apart? Apparently not. Etc.

Has any male in Alvarez family has ever admitted of being wrong on anything? I don't think so. 

6905d060fc440daa3c29aa46c8f1e122.jpg

Yes to all your questions.

So, how does the air above the oil get out through the seal?

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

wowowoo-its-magic.jpg

Back when air pressurized forks were a thing they did eventually leak

So he contacted you for help. What else is new. Lol. 

Because you know, pressurized fork from 1983 is just like modern cartridge one.

Edited by tomek

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Yes to all your questions.

So, how does the air above the oil get out through the seal?

This thread once again reminded me why I have you on ignore. I can't  deal with your stubborn stupidity and inability to learn anything. 

Let me guess, doubled down on the refusal to actually answer?  I'm not gonna show the posts, it's far more amusing to just take wild guesses.  I don't even have a position on it, but the quoted bits are hilarious.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, SwampNut said:

Let me guess, doubled down on the refusal to actually answer?  I'm not gonna show the posts, it's far more amusing to just take wild guesses.  I don't even have a position on it, but the quoted bits are hilarious.

Tripled down.  Talk shit, cast insults....typical Tomek.

He bitched about my stubborn stupidity and inability to learn anything, but he won't answer the question so I won't have the opportunity to learn the secrets hidden away in The Professional's mind.

Looks like beta male bro called  wanna be alpha male bro for help, and now are having discussion about me.  

I'm flattered, I need all attention I can get. Awesome.

Screenshot_20211011-125200_Chrome.jpg

Yea, Carlos and I had a lengthy discussion trying to figure out how air drives itself down through oil to get to the seal while the bike is parked.  After agonizingly long seconds of trying and getting nowhere we conceded that The Professional is way smarter than us.  

First I thought, "was I drinking?  We never talked about this."  Then I got the sarcasm.

Some people are running pressure in the KTM, it's the 80s all over again.  I've bottomed it once, doing shit I shouldn't do on an Adv bike, but still have a bit of compression adjustment to go.

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Some people are running pressure in the KTM, it's the 80s all over again.

I hope the factory KTM oil is air resistant otherwise they'll be deflated in no time.

Using air pressure might not be ideal, or could be in some conditions.

Edited by superhawk996

So, are you done with your brotherly circle jerk yet? Yes? Good, let's bring closure to some of blithering nonsense suggested here.

So, let's say fork tops are airtight like tire, and would absolutely and positively never ever leak any air in or out. 

The sag on the front end on street bikes will be in 30-40 mm range. Let's say you are 20 mm off from recommended fluid level. Like 130 mm instead of 110 mm. 

This graph is from Ohlins cartridge kit for my R1, and illustrates relation between fork travel and oil level vs. air spring effect. It clearly illustrates in range of 30-40mm of fork travel (the sag) the difference in air spring would be less then 5 N for oil level being off by 20mm. 5 N = 0.5 kg.

Typical fork spring has a rate of 1.0kg/mm. So oil level being off by 20mm would change the sag by 0.5 mm. Totally irrelevant and not even possible to measure. Lol.

That was classic superhawk996 maneuver in the garage. Post something stupid, then run for help to his brother. Lol.

20211010_145848.thumb.jpg.735ba76bf037ea5766b6891488f3a3aa.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tomek said:

So, are you done with your brotherly circle jerk yet? Yes? Good, let's bring closure to some of blithering nonsense suggested here.

Don't take the bait Tomek. They don't respect you.

Why people continue to go to The Garage for garage advice is a mystery. 

Edit: Nice chart Tomek clearly showing the progressive nature of the air gap. 

Edited by fizzy