CBR1100XX.org Forum

Well that's a wrap...kitchen remodel finally done

Biometrix

So I've mentioned before that we bought a new house about three years ago now and one of the features was that it had basically been frozen in time from the 70's. The kitchen had a particularly strong "Brady Bunch" charm. Anyhow like most dumb decisions I make, I decided I could do all the work myself. I do have the skills but as I get older my motivation, enthusiasm and energy level are starting to wane. Long story short, I managed to extend this project for about 18 months. Finally though I finished it this past weekend. I will say in my defense that I built all the cabinets myself so that added quite a bit of time. Long story short...here's two pics of before and after. They don't really represent the full extent of the project. Every wall was ripped out and patched to some extent. New plumbing, new gas line where there wasn't any, all electrical updated/added etc. etc. I am pleased with the result.

20170909_111003 small.jpg

20210929_102557 small.jpg

• Upvote 4

Well in that case you nailed it. My wife collects 70's Pepsi stuff and is basically addicted to the Keurig since she has been 10 years+ sober so yeah, I am admittedly a little defensive. Had you criticized my cabinet making skills then I would have better understood you both being a douche and also being wrong. 😘

They look like you got them from IKEA 😍

I know you trust my taste. Buy your wife a Nespresso machine. She’ll love you for it. I guarantee it. 

I failed to read the actual post. You did all that work? Very impressive. Very. 

But 18 months - fuck. I wouldn’t have stopped until it was done. OCD. 

Now that it’s done - no one is allowed to use it. Needs to stay new forever. 

2 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Tell me more about the stove, I'm "soft" shopping for that, meaning to replace some day but no strong reason to.

Samsung, five burner, convection oven. The center grate can be swapped out with a flat griddle. Grates are nice heavy duty cast iron. Works fine, pretty good burner control. I have LP which I hear burns hotter (well technically it burns at the same heat but has more BTU per unit than NG). Had to do the NG to LP conversion but it came with all the jets and you just flip a piece in the regulator. 

This is the Model #NX58h5600ss but I think it may be discontinued as I actually bought it on a black Friday sale with the rest of the appliances in 2018 because I knew I would be doing the kitchen remodel at some point.

Let me know anything specific you want to know. It gets hot and cooks food lol. I don't have any complaints about it.   

So you like it so far, would you consider yourself picky about heat?  Meaning, say cooking sauces that need gentle heat, while stir-frying something that needs a blast?  My stove can't go low enough for a couple hours of sauce cooking, so I have a diffuser topper, but that takes off too much and becomes less predictable.  The griddle I'm attracted to, but not sure why.  Mostly I'd probably use it as a tortilla warmer.

Convection oven...so electric right, not gas?

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

So you like it so far, would you consider yourself picky about heat?  Meaning, say cooking sauces that need gentle heat, while stir-frying something that needs a blast?  My stove can't go low enough for a couple hours of sauce cooking, so I have a diffuser topper, but that takes off too much and becomes less predictable.  The griddle I'm attracted to, but not sure why.  Mostly I'd probably use it as a tortilla warmer.

Convection oven...so electric right, not gas?

No it's a gas convection oven and has convection bake and convection roast settings. Obviously the fan is electric though and it powered by the 110VAC that runs the controls and igniter. The wall oven is electric convection. Yes I am picky about heat and when I make my annual 3 gallons of tomato sauce it is imperative that I can simmer without burning for hours but also I like the high heat for getting my cast iron pans up to searing temp. This does a good job with both. The five burners all have different BTU ratings with the hottest being 17000 BTUs and the smallest simmer burner being 5000 BTUs so there's a good range of heat. The griddle is nice for some things but I still find a pan better for eggs. I have it leveled dead nuts on but still, eggs on the griddle will run to one side.  

Funny, I just realized that your exact model is in my cart as an option I'd considered before.  But no longer available.

The fragile/hot range comment was exactly what I was looking for.  I never make eggs, the griddle would be for limited uses.  I just tossed a pack of eggs last night marked "Best by February 24."

3 hours ago, XXitanium said:

You did the gas piping yourself? That may be in my future.

I did...1/2" black pipe connected to the manifold in the basement, up through the floor to a shut-off valve, through the wall and then a 4-foot flex connection to the range as the code in PA doesn't allow for flex pipe in walls or through floors or so I was told by the guys who installed my propane tank.

Was able to use pre-sized lengths/nipple with no cutting and re-threading. Used Blue Monster PTFE Thread Sealant.

Also...Dave is correct and I'll own that. Not ashamed. 😏

• Upvote 1

Yes, black pipe matters but I'm ok with all colors of pipe. Any pipe is better than no pipe. Black pipe just seems more rigid and satisfying when you're shoving it through your holes. 

However if you're asking seriously, black iron pipe is what it is specifically called and is used for gas lines over silver galvanized pipe but I think you knew that. 

5 hours ago, RXX said:

Excellent work! I guess the planer was a big part of the project?

Thanks but really only used the planer to help make the top trim over the cabinets. Re-sawed 3/4 pine in half on the band saw and then planed down to 1/4". Cut into strips and then routed the bevel and glued it up for the crown effect. 32 feet of molding cost me $20 in 3.5" x 8' x 3/4" clear pine.

Cabinet doors are 3/4 solid birch rails with 1/4 birch plywood panels and cabinet boxes are all 3/4 Baltic birch plywood. Cabinet face frames are all 3/4 poplar. All the solid lumber was already SFS (Surfaced Four Sides). Thinking I saved about $3-4 grand making the cabinets myself rather than custom or semi-custom of the same quality. Soft close hinges and drawer slides and also made slide out shelves for all the base cabinets.

20210928_101830 small.jpg

20210920_164031 small.jpg

• Like 1