CBR1100XX.org Forum

Kitchen tools, containers, ways to take real food on the go

SwampNut

Some people say you shouldn't buy single-purpose tools that clutter the kitchen.  I say you should also try to avoid shitty multi-purpose tools that do nothing right.  Here are a few things that I find highly useful.

Handheld metal citrus squeezer.  Lemons and limes are so useful in adding zing to so many meals.  Use them, lots of them.

Garlic slicer.  Takes little room, and slightly toasted sauteed garlic is great for so many things.  Topping on a salad, added to marinara, etc.

High speed, high power blender.

Instant pot.  I have a 3 quart and an 8.  Beans are an essential part of WFPB, and you can make an unlimited variety of bean dishes and stews, put them in to-go containers, and eat later.  Potatoes, corn, lentils, beans, spices.  Unlimited options.  I use the small one for rice and other small grain dishes like buckwheat and steel cut oats.  The big one for large stews.  It can generate 4-6 meals of 500-700 calories each, which I can then use over the following week.

Immersion blender.  Some bean and stew type meals are good to either totally cream or just partially.

Plastic, microwave-safe cups/bowls to put your premade stuff in and heat easily.  Portable.  I will be traveling to PA with one and some instant meals.  As long as I can get/make hot water, I have a meal.  You can also seal something in these and they won't spill (you can't abuse them, but they will travel well in a bag).

https://smile.amazon.com/Sistema-Microwave-Collection-Noodle-1109ZS/dp/B009SD35IO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sistema+940&qid=1631634472&s=home-garden&sr=1-1

Another favorite trick of mine for storing multiple pre-made meals is disposable restaurant to-go containers.  About ten cents each, totally portable (you'd have to try very hard to break them), and then just toss it.  I can put it in moto luggage or whatever.  They freeze just fine, then go on a trip, and toss out.  I buy a case and it lasts a couple years.

The big ones are perfect for about 600 calories of a bean/potato/corn type stew or meal.  The small ones for hummus, sides, etc.  

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choicehd-32-oz-microwavable-translucent-plastic-deli-container-and-lid-combo-pack-case/128HD32COMBO.html

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choicehd-16-oz-microwavable-translucent-plastic-deli-container-and-lid-combo-pack-case/128HD16COMBO.html

9 hours ago, tomek said:

I avoid plastic containers as much as possible, certainly don't use them in microwaves.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/is-plastic-a-threat-to-your-health

Plastic has no salt, oil, or calories so it's ok.  It's even gluten free in case you're one of those people.

I do use oil and salt, not really care about gluten free or not.

Plastics are no go in food storage but realistically it is almost impossible to avoid them totally. Do the best you can, certainly don't use them in microwave. 

On 9/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, SwampNut said:

Some people say you shouldn't buy single-purpose tools that clutter the kitchen.  I say you should also try to avoid shitty multi-purpose tools that do nothing right.  Here are a few things that I find highly useful.

Handheld metal citrus squeezer.  Lemons and limes are so useful in adding zing to so many meals.  Use them, lots of them.

Garlic slicer.  Takes little room, and slightly toasted sauteed garlic is great for so many things.  Topping on a salad, added to marinara, etc.

High speed, high power blender.

Instant pot.  I have a 3 quart and an 8.  Beans are an essential part of WFPB, and you can make an unlimited variety of bean dishes and stews, put them in to-go containers, and eat later.  Potatoes, corn, lentils, beans, spices.  Unlimited options.  I use the small one for rice and other small grain dishes like buckwheat and steel cut oats.  The big one for large stews.  It can generate 4-6 meals of 500-700 calories each, which I can then use over the following week.

Immersion blender.  Some bean and stew type meals are good to either totally cream or just partially.

Plastic, microwave-safe cups/bowls to put your premade stuff in and heat easily.  Portable.  I will be traveling to PA with one and some instant meals.  As long as I can get/make hot water, I have a meal.  You can also seal something in these and they won't spill (you can't abuse them, but they will travel well in a bag).

https://smile.amazon.com/Sistema-Microwave-Collection-Noodle-1109ZS/dp/B009SD35IO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sistema+940&qid=1631634472&s=home-garden&sr=1-1

Another favorite trick of mine for storing multiple pre-made meals is disposable restaurant to-go containers.  About ten cents each, totally portable (you'd have to try very hard to break them), and then just toss it.  I can put it in moto luggage or whatever.  They freeze just fine, then go on a trip, and toss out.  I buy a case and it lasts a couple years.

The big ones are perfect for about 600 calories of a bean/potato/corn type stew or meal.  The small ones for hummus, sides, etc.  

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choicehd-32-oz-microwavable-translucent-plastic-deli-container-and-lid-combo-pack-case/128HD32COMBO.html

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choicehd-16-oz-microwavable-translucent-plastic-deli-container-and-lid-combo-pack-case/128HD16COMBO.html

I use quite a few of the items you listed.  The bulk quantities of quart containers is a must, as I regularly deliver soups and meat sauces ( elk, and other venison) to friends and family members.  I have found out that quality varies greatly between brands ( I don’t buy the GFS brand) . The lids are generally flimsy and inferior.  There are commercial kitchen suppliers in most markets that let you buy restaurant quality cases of containers in bulk packages at similar prices.  Most people don’t even know they are open to the public in most cases, but, they are a great source for commercial quality items. 

Edited by Toynutt
  • Upvote 1

The ones I linked to above are pretty tough.  Lids are solid, and no-leak.  You can put those in a cooler with ice and not end up with meals full of water.

Also GREAT point about local restaurant suppliers, almost all let you walk in and buy.  You can get bulk things cheap, like if you wanted 20 cheap semi-disposable aluminum pans for a cook-off.

Quart mason jars are a re-usable way to cheaply store/carry things too.  If you don't have access to a microwave, those can be put on a hot engine to warm up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I gotta try is on Freightliner. Even though it is diesel turbo should get hot enough. 

I could throw electric oven in the sleeper but I don't wanna do actual cooking inside of the truck. 

for car / motorcycle camping, i like to cook soups (split pea with ham, potato leek etc.), vacuum package and freeze.  they keep your beer cold on the way to an easy meal, just boil water.

an adaptable technique for things like corned beef and cabbage (heating the bagged roast while boiling the potatoes & cabbage) and home made beef patties and rice for loco mocos, all well received by hungry biker buddies!

Edited by ptxyz