CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vitamin D2 or D3, take supplements?

02XXCA

How many of you have ever been tested for vitamin D levels.   I have watched some Youtube videos that says there is definitely some benefit to taking D2 or D3 supplements to raise your levels.

Edited by 02XXCA

• 02XXCA changed the title to Vitamin D2 or D3, take supplements?

Nothing, tested last year and it was perfectly fine, although I do drink rather large amounts of vitamin d enhanced organic milk. I know it goes against conventional wisdom but my body needs daily dose of dairy.

Why 2% instead of whole milk, well, lower fat is better for cappuccino. 

Why not skim milk? Can't stand the taste of it.

20210913_083322.jpg

Edited by tomek
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

D3.  10,000 IU every day.  Vitamin D is well-known to boost the immune system.  I was doing it before my doctor told me to be taking it for that purpose.

Have you ever had your levels tested, either before or after taking?

Nearly everyone over 40 and many people under that age are low.  The evidence is overwhelming that people who keep their levels around 50 suffer fewer illnesses, both minor and major.  I was first tested around 12 years ago and routinely since then; I was low.  This was in September or so after spending all summer on the boat in the sun.  We should all reduce or eliminate our consumption of dairy, and that's one of the few reliable sources of it.  But brings along so many other health and non-health issues.  I have been supplementing about 5k IU/day since then and keep my levels in the 48-54 range doing so.  I have found that the gel caps keep the levels higher, and the tablets seem to be less bio-available.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B010RAGYG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why Swamp is so hell bent on eliminating dairy. Yes, something like cheap milk in plastic battles gotta go but quality products are essential in balanced diet as long as you are not lactose intolerant person. Most of people with "European Dna" are lactose tolerant, dairy has been part of a diet there for couple thousands of years. So, it depends.

I'm 57 and I've never suffered from Vitamin D deficiency. Maybe because I do use milk,  quality yogurt and white cheese, kind of like farmer cheese.

14 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

No, not before.  My levels are "off the charts" as my doctor jokes, but that's how he likes to see it.

What are the actual numbers?  Over the years, new evidence has shown us that the old standards were a bit low.  For a while, 30 was "alright" and that definitely does not correlate with the health improvements and resistance to illness.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

What are the actual numbers?  Over the years, new evidence has shown us that the old standards were a bit low.  For a while, 30 was "alright" and that definitely does not correlate with the health improvements and resistance to illness.

My last test said "71."  The scale of reference is below...

Deficiency:  <20 ng/mL
Insufficiency:  20 - 29 ng/mL
Optimal:  > or = 30 ng/mL

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

My last test said "71."  The scale of reference is below...

Deficiency:  <20 ng/mL
Insufficiency:  20 - 29 ng/mL
Optimal:  > or = 30 ng/mL

That is why numbers matter, a lot of the latest findings seems to indicate the ideal is around 70 to 80, then you aren't off the charts necessarily.  Just depends what science/latest studies you follow.

I've seen some evidence saying that you really do want to top out at about 70-80, and over 100 is cause for concern.  This is a moving target however.

Note that reference scales normally aren't based on ideals, but simply based on correlation with problems or lack of.  "People over 30 ng/mL failed to have glaring problems" is very different from using that number as good for optimal health.

I have seen NO evidence that being up to 80 is bad, and Zero is the only other person I know who is over 60.  The other guy's doctor just cut him back to 1k IU/day with a target of 50-70, and zero concern for where he was.  I'm not sure how to interpret this, however I think the doc is saying this is a good thing, right?

8 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

My levels are "off the charts" as my doctor jokes, but that's how he likes to see it.

It depends on what sources you trust.

I take turmeric curcumin every day because it fights cellular inflammation...the real cause of cardiovascular disease based on research coming out of Israel.

I take niacin because many neurological/mental issues are improved and sometimes eliminated with the addition of a niacin supplement to the diet.

Glucosamine for my joints.

Essential fatty acids.

Cold-pressed flax seed oil.

All of these based on research showing they help you stay healthy.  Some doctors know this, some do not.

6 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

It depends on what sources you trust.

I take turmeric curcumin every day because it fights cellular inflammation...the real cause of cardiovascular disease based on research coming out of Israel.

I take niacin because many neurological/mental issues are improved and sometimes eliminated with the addition of a niacin supplement to the diet.

Glucosamine for my joints.

Essential fatty acids.

Cold-pressed flax seed oil.

All of these based on research showing they help you stay healthy.  Some doctors know this, some do not.

You'll want to read this.  Nutritional yeast also has great uses in flavoring, because it imparts a cheese-like tang.  I'll post about its uses at some point.  I actually make a WFPB 'gas station cheez sauce" with it, for those days when you want to feel like you are eating total junk.  Also Taco Bell "meat" recipe.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2021/09/14/the-effects-of-nutritional-yeast-for-cancer/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=20d44878be-RSS_BLOG_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-20d44878be-28710906&mc_cid=20d44878be&mc_eid=6bf37ade4d

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having sleep issues for a while and as I got busier at work and home, was even sleeping less with one night only two hours.

I daily take 2K of D3 when I get up along with other vitamins.  My wife suggested that I up my D and while I didn't think it would help, I took another 2K before bed.  I slept about eight hours that night.  It has been about a week now and it has been between 6.5 and 8 hours every night.  I know that everyone is different so this may not help anyone else but I thought that I would throw it out there.

During my recent visit my doctor suggested I do a minimum of 5k *every day* and not skip any like I was.  It takes about three months to see a major blood level effect of D, but I don't know if they can have any other immediate effects.  If you decide to test, you need to be on a regimen for at least two months first.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

During my recent visit my doctor suggested I do a minimum of 5k *every day* and not skip any like I was.  It takes about three months to see a major blood level effect of D, but I don't know if they can have any other immediate effects.  If you decide to test, you need to be on a regimen for at least two months first.

Thanks for the update, my wife had been taking 2k and her reading was around 25.  She is now taking 4k as well as myself.  I have yet to be tested,

Damn that is critically low.  I'm quite certain, with all my research, that a month on 20k IU would be good.  Double check me, but all the evidence I found says that bringing it up quickly that way is totally safe.

On 10/7/2021 at 3:59 PM, SwampNut said:

It takes about three months to see a major blood level effect of D, but I don't know if they can have any other immediate effects. 

All I know is that it has been a long time since I have slept this well.  A full eight hours last night.