CBR1100XX.org Forum

I think I have a carb problem

TFT

I have a 97 XX with 2 Bros slip-ons and K&N filter. I rejetted with a Dynojet kit during the winter. Set up per the dynojet recommendations. The bike seemed to run great at first. The last two weeks the weather has been mild and I have put a few hundred miles on it. Now it seems to sputter a bit at low rpms, it also seems to hesitate a bit when I crank it wide open at about 5000rpm. I didn't do any of this when I first did the installation. Any thoughts? It also seems to run better when the engine is cold.

It sputters quite a bit at low rpm/idle. I used to be able to let the clutch out and let the bike just idle along, now it sputters and jerks and it will not idle in gear without lurching. :cry:

Sounds like it's running rich to me. Check to see if you've

got nastiness in your air filter. If not, then you may want

to consider cranking in the pilot screw a bit (since the

problem is appearing at low RPM)

It also doesn't hurt to check carb synchronization..

Just my $0.02

:cool: TJ :cool:

Yes, you're running rich. Being in Alaska your "cold" to "warm" riding is probably a lot different than mine.

If the bike runs good till warmed up or when air temp. is cold it is too rich.

Just lke Speedfreak said, start with turning the pilot screws in a 1/2 turn and try it.

I don't know. It's not like 90F there, right? How much difference in temperature are we talking about? I would be checking the carb mounting clamps plus anything else that might have come loose.

When I first installed the jets and rode the bike it was around 40-45deg F. The problem started to manifest when the temperatures got into the 60's. It does seem to be temp related. How much do I have to dissasemble to adjust the pilot screws?

I do remember I had to take the carbs out but I wasn't sure how much I would have to do to get to the screws.

I set them at 2 1/2 turns

Re-adjusted the mixture screws today. Just took the bike out for a spin and it runs great!! Evidently it was the mixture screws. I set them at 2 1/4 turns, checked all the nuts, bolts and screws to make sure everything was tight. I have a feeling that when I originally set them I wasn't as careful as I should have been on getting the adjustment perfect. This time I placed a piece of tape around the top of the adjustment tool and marked it every 90 degrees. That way I was sure to be exact in the adjustment for each carb.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nope, the adjustment tool provided with the dynojet kit accesses the screws with the carbs in place. It is tight though. You need to have a bit of dexterity and thin fingers. :lol: