CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wanted. Gas tank

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

There are rust treatments for gas tanks, if it's not a matter of being totally damaged.

I didnt think it was bad and it's probably easy to save, however I did try one product that was supposed to eat the rust and it's still flaking off plugging the fuel system. I'm hoping I can find something that's useable to get the bike tuned before NEXXT and I'll clean the original tank over winter and reinstall it come spring.

19 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Putting small screws in the tank and wrapping it up in a blanket in the dryer.

(Poor man's bead blasting)

Tumble polish, pretty cool idea.  I occasionally have stuff that won't fit in my tumblers, I'll have to keep in mind that I have the much larger drum polisher by Electrolux also in the garage.

5 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Tumble polish, pretty cool idea.  I occasionally have stuff that won't fit in my tumblers, I'll have to keep in mind that I have the much larger drum polisher by Electrolux also in the garage.

I can tell you that tumbling the .50 BMG brass in the dryer was NOT good.  Or maybe washer.  Anyway, dented the fuck out of all the necks.

I tried numerous methods without success a few years ago restoring a ZX6E tank. What ended up finally working like a champ was muriatic acid. It goes without saying, but gloves, a mask and goggles are a necessity and the cleanup is very messy. In hindsight I probably should have just sourced another tank for the effort, but it absolutely worked. 

2 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I also have used muriatic acid and then coated the tank.  The acid did not harm the paint on the outside of the tank.

That's what I was trying to avoid but it seems near impossible to source a clean 01 tank so I'll probably do it to the black tank that I have that's also rusted and have it painted or just wait till I can find one used

• 3 weeks later...

I have a nice '02 tank for sale on ebay. Been properly prepped and coated with POR-15 tank coating ( the best product available in my opinion) One very slight area of metal imperfections. The pics and description say it all. My ebay name is     gsroadmaster

I'm asking just $295 plus shipping.

Steve

14 hours ago, Steve Smith said:

I have a nice '02 tank for sale on ebay. Been properly prepped and coated with POR-15 tank coating ( the best product available in my opinion) One very slight area of metal imperfections. The pics and description say it all. My ebay name is     gsroadmaster

I'm asking just $295 plus shipping.

Steve

Thank you for the offer Steve but I happened to get my hands on a black 03 tank 2 weeks ago with help from Joe so I'm back up and running