CBR1100XX.org Forum

CBR1100XX Blackbird seat upholstery

XXitanium

• 2 weeks later...

I have an else made seat on mine with silver piping and TT and CB1100XX logos.  Was expensive but worth it.  Have Gel on both front and rear, haven't yet done any serious mileage on it but hopefully next year.

63E0A410-820F-4FA0-B6F9-4DA767D268F4.thumb.jpg.de138e9f74628dbd9a372e4bd03f193a.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 9/21/2021 at 2:25 AM, blackhawkxx said:

I have said it before but that is the best looking XX seat that I have ever seen.

Looks pretty good on the bike as well :)

These are from a couple of weeks ago when I went to visit my friend Joey on the mountain...

IMG_5669.thumb.jpeg.4eff8074063c5849fd78d0128497cb7a.jpeg

IMG_5670.thumb.jpg.f31c489744ca425d7a92cbb39da0d82f.jpg

IMG_5681.thumb.jpg.dbb9f09bc6e832dd0ed2bfb51f5517c2.jpg

IMG_5668.thumb.jpeg.9cc9d59822c9e950059b4a281ae9d3df.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

You should not ride while stoned.

I have no idea to what you refer, Joey is the stone(d) one, well, bronze actually but never mind ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

So after what, 4000 miles, your appraisal?

I took my Corbin with the butt beads off the other day and the bike is much more manageable with the stock seat.

• Upvote 1

4,000~ish miles in less than 2 weeks. It wasn't perfect. It made it pretty comfortable though.  Wearing my tech pants more than doubled the comfort - I don't know why. I never had to swap out the beads for the Airhawk.

My knees bang on the back of the lowers. My right knee worse than the left. I bet most of you normal sized people don't have that problem... Ten days, my right knee was getting sensitive to it.

The goofy two-tone cammo/green was fun and actually kind of masked the odd look of the beads.

My appraisal, it was worth the time and effort. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/23/2021 at 2:19 PM, SwampNut said:

Does he ride like he has brass balls?

Does Howdy Doody have wooden balls?

"All done with a minimum of fuss and fanfare. He was killed at the age of 48 while competing at an obscure road race in Estonia on 2 July 2000. He collided with trees after being thrown from his 125cc bike in the rain.

Despite being twice the age of some of his rivals, just a month earlier he had won three races at the TT, a fortnight of glory that suggested he was once again back at the top of his sport."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/48297727

Edited by XXitanium

I've never done leather, but I had a "canvas" seat on a bike.  Probably Sunbrella or another modern material and not true canvas, but I don't recall, it was in the 90s.  Anyway it did get wet a few times, but I was typically wearing rain gear so it didn't matter.  I eventually applied canvas sealer spray so it wouldn't get totally soggy.  It was nice to sit on in summer in jeans or dress pants.

Just call me Guido.

B60D4B15-8348-4841-8ABD-4639BE3E234D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

I've never done leather, but I had a "canvas" seat on a bike.  Probably Sunbrella or another modern material and not true canvas, but I don't recall, it was in the 90s.  Anyway it did get wet a few times, but I was typically wearing rain gear so it didn't matter.  I eventually applied canvas sealer spray so it wouldn't get totally soggy.  It was nice to sit on in summer in jeans or dress pants.

Just call me Guido.

B60D4B15-8348-4841-8ABD-4639BE3E234D.jpeg

Pink suit? Jeremy Clarkson long pause,,  ,,,,,,    You should walk like that into a bar in rural Wyoming (or about 99% of that state) and order a beer. At least socks are not white.

Edited by tomek

20 hours ago, RXX said:

I took my Corbin with the butt beads off the other day and the bike is much more manageable with the stock seat.

Because the Corbin is wider and therefore spread your legs out affectively making you shorter?   If that is the case and you want to keep the Corbin, you can lower the bike about 1" without too much trouble.

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Because the Corbin is wider and therefore spread your legs out affectively making you shorter?   If that is the case and you want to keep the Corbin, you can lower the bike about 1" without too much trouble.

I think so. The seat may be physically taller also, I dunno. I do not care if I keep it or not. I have over 80K on the stocker, this one just came with the bike.

I have never really understood the attraction of Corbin seats. I would never have bought one (unless I were rich, duh)

Sort of like buying 25 year old booze, my ass and my palate are too uneducated to appreciate the perceived quality.

20 hours ago, RXX said:

I have never really understood the attraction of Corbin seats.

The stock seat seemed to push me forward, the Corbin Smuggler did not. The Corbin is fine except for long trips, like from Alaska to Arizona. 

I bought the large sheepskin Buttpad from Alaska Leather for my bike prior to that trip and the difference in comfort was amazing and it fit perfectly. 

I think it was this one:

r1200_1024x1024.jpg?v=1524696927

https://alaskaleather.com/collections/sheepskin-buttpads

On 9/19/2021 at 10:22 AM, JaBr said:

I have an else made seat on mine with silver piping and TT and CB1100XX logos.  Was expensive but worth it.  Have Gel on both front and rear, haven't yet done any serious mileage on it but hopefully next year.

63E0A410-820F-4FA0-B6F9-4DA767D268F4.thumb.jpg.de138e9f74628dbd9a372e4bd03f193a.jpg

That is one great looking seat. Whoever fabricated that did an amazing job. The stitching really adds to it. 

Was the stitching your design? 

21 hours ago, RXX said:

For me it was the difference between a painful day of riding and a comfortable 3k mile weekend.

The Alaska sheepskin was really nice on my K1200LT, never tried it on any other bike.  Stock seat plus that was good for all day rides

21 hours ago, RXX said:

Well, stock seats basically sock for long distance riding, and back in a day there were not many alternatives.

Sheepskin covered Corbin was extremely comfortable.

Edited by tomek