CBR1100XX.org Forum

CBR1100XX Blackbird seat upholstery

XXitanium

I have Corbin and I like it, butt it got pretty hard going around Superior. It's pretty good as-is for 400 mile days.

I'm going to try to reupholster a couple different seat setups. I'm going to try one with gel foam insert and maybe try to upholster one with snaps for removable butt beads?

I was initially going to just do som guerilla cover job, but now I'm thinking of bringing it up a notch.

...corpse 1.

20210822_183943.jpg

Screenshot_20210822-205404_Chrome.jpg

Edited by XXitanium

how about with varying densities of foam layers.i read somewhere a while back that gel inserts can heat up in the sun and become somewhat uncomfortable.i just use an airhawk cushion when i start getting sore on long trips.works well for me so far.

just saying it has worked well on my bikes.the vfr800 i bought from racer212 had a sargeant seat that was really comfortable.even though i brought my airhawk along with me i never needed it with that bike.a friend of mine has had success with layering different density foams when he has made seats for his trikes.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:40 AM, poida said:

how about with varying densities of foam layers.i read somewhere a while back that gel inserts can heat up in the sun and become somewhat uncomfortable.i just use an airhawk cushion when i start getting sore on long trips.works well for me so far.

I use gel pad from Cycle Gear. It takes forever to cool down after being in the sun for couple of hrs. It is like sitting on the furnace for 30-60 minutes. 

This is what I have (minus the passenger backrest and without the blue piping), scored it on ebay before my big Deal's Gap trip over a decade ago and it made all the difference in the world.  I don't think I ever put the stock seat back on.  It has a tear in it that I never repaired and it never got worse.  Best seat hands-down I've ever sat on on any bike I've ever owned.  I think I made 11 trips through the Dragon that time plus a run over the Cherohala (did the full loop) plus the Hellbender.  Never ridden that much in my life; this seat made all the difference.  YMMV.

hcbr11xxglb_5.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

It's meant to be fun? 

Totally agree. I've had some equally or even more interesting  paint jobs on track bikes.